Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an article on toolguyd about 7/16 hex impact drivers. They're supposed to be great for auger bits and those big paddle bits. I'm also very curious as to how well they spin a hole saw. Sounds like it would be great for battery life and less wrist snapping torque.

I would love to give Milwaukee's m18 brushless version a shot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was tempted by the same article. But I can't help but wonder if the bits can handle it. I see so many driver and drill bits claiming to be "impact rated", but I see no mention of it with large auger bits. Apparently the tool is designed to work with these bits, but are the bits designed to handle 500+ ft-lbs of torque that these tools can deliver?

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Apparently the tool is designed to work with these bits, but are the bits designed to handle 500+ ft-lbs of torque that these tools can deliver...?
500 ft/lbs of peak torque is what is applied when the bit is held immobile.

In the case of drilling through lumber, unless you're regularly stalling out your D-handle drills, you know that the torque it takes to get through the wood to give is gonna be a lot lower than 500 ft/lbs so the auger shouldn't see that.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
You may have to take into account the flex of longer augers, ie the impact will just twist them and before the momentum turns the cutting edges in the timber it backs off to hit the anvil again.

I havent personally seen this with augers but have when driving large long lag screws with an ordinary impact.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
500 ft/lbs of peak torque is what is applied when the bit is held immobile.

In the case of drilling through lumber, unless you're regularly stalling out your D-handle drills, you know that the torque it takes to get through the wood to give is gonna be a lot lower than 500 ft/lbs so the auger shouldn't see that.
I don't even wana' talk about D-handle drills.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
We use hydraulic 7/16" impacts for pole line work and mounting SCADA antennas to wood poles. Several manufactures make the bits with the 7/16" quick change.

I'm tempted to try the makita 18v 7/16" impact, if its anything like the 1/2" square version it'll be a beast. :laughing:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Been considering getting one for a while now. They also make a 7/16" hex adapter for a 1/2" square anvil, and since I also plan on getting the 1/2" high-torque impact wrench, may try that route first.

Here's a guy demonstrating the non-Fuel version:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I see so many driver and drill bits claiming to be "impact rated", but I see no mention of it with large auger bits.
Just recently watched an older YouTube video where the Milwaukee rep states "we specially heat-treat this for an impact rating, so that they can be used with impact wrenches as well", when giving his spiel about their ship augers.

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Been considering getting one for a while now. They also make a 7/16" hex adapter for a 1/2" square anvil, and since I also plan on getting the 1/2" high-torque impact wrench, may try that route first.

Here's a guy demonstrating the non-Fuel version:

Love how the tool falls at the end!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.