·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do most of my material gathering at HD. I have found so far:
Non TR receps packaged as TR recepts.
Non Co/Smokes packages as smokes.
Non 20 amp GFCI packaged as 20 amp.

Seems consumers are returning bogus to make or save money and it is being put back on the shelves.

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
Yep. Did a job for a cheap bastard once and he gave me a smoke detector without the three pin pigtail. I know damn well he went to HD, bought a new smokie, took out the pigtail, and then returned it to HD.

That's why I like dealing with an actual electrical wholesaler.

·
Registered
880 Posts
HD can be a huge time waster, selling returned/broken fixtures, charging triple and quadruple for small stuff like emt fittings, being out of what you need. We have had ceiling fans that were returned and resold with parts missing and broken glass! We had some pillow lights that when we opened them they had someone's nasty kitchen grease and paint on them. We had one customer return 3 faulty LED retros but they didn't have any more to replace them with. He went back a week later and bought three more and they were the same three he returned a week earlier!!! I only buy Romex there. And tools.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Needed some RJ11 Jacks and Tapcon Screws with a bit, first RJ11 pack I picked up had old cut RJ11 jacks inside the packaging gave it to an associate they probably put it back. Grabbed a box of tapcon screws didn't think to look to make sure it wasn't opened, got all the way back to the job after an hour journey to find out..... no drill bit and used tapcon screws in it.

Way to go Home Depot.

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
I actually worked for HD for two months in a past life. A guy returned a chit covered plumber's snake and they put it in my cart to return to the shelf. The girls didn't know. When I told them they were disgusted.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,465 Posts
I did a service call for a well pump not working. I was only checking for power which was good. Lady didn't know a plumber so I called one for her. After he pulled up the pump motor I checked it for him. It was bad and we told the lady. She said she would pick one up and have the plumber install it.
The plumber asked me to make up the splices and connect to the control box. So I met him there to install the pump.
When we took the pump out of the box it was caked with mud.:whistling2:

Someone had returned that to Lowes and they just stuck it back on the shelf!

·
Registered
287 Posts
A bit off track....When I worked at Canadian tire for a year in auto parts and hardware department.... the customer service girls would take back anything. It pissed me off, but truly they were just so stupid to put it in the nicest way! I am not kidding people would buy a new headlight bulb and then 'return' it with an old burnt out bulb taped back up in the package, no questions asked. They once took back an air compressor that was over 50 years old with no nameplate or anything, homemade, the guy claimed it was a mastercraft...no questions asked. The hands down worst I saw was people returned their old oil filters! :eek:

On another note when customer service made customers return entire socket sets for one broken socket and then throw out the returned socket set I didn't mind being in charge of disposing the old kits ;)

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I picked up a Lutron Ariadni dimmer switch from the supply house. Took it out of the box and a couple chunks of solid wire were left in the back stabbed part of the switch. I was in a pinch so I used it and thankfully it worked.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
We have an entire contingent of customers adding more work to the work they want via their HD obsession , not to mention their own travel time beating a ditch between their job and it....:thumbup:

~CS~

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I learned a long time ago to check everything. I once bought a QO panel that had almost every 1/2" knockout removed on the top. I needed it and there was no going back, so I installed it anyway and used a bunch of KO fillers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.