Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my my friends house, checking it out for some electrical work he needs done and saw this on his meter. I've never seen one of these before. As far as I can tell its an energy management device that was installed by PSE&G (a south jersey poco). Anyone ever delt with one before? I have seen smart meters and heard that they can cell call poco if they are pulled. I didn't know if this is the pocos way of doing that on analogue power meters.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did contact the poco and they verified that it was theirs but the woman could not give me a specific answer as to what they use it for. She said it would not effect me if I needed to pull the meter. I was thinking that maybe they are using it to figure out how much energy they are using on and off of peak hours. Many of the houses in his area that do not have digital meters have these installed on them.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Looks like a glorified Kill-A-Watt meter , except it's for the whole house, more like a TED (The Energy Detective). Kind of cool though that it apparently taps right into the meter inductively, meaning no wiring or exposure to wiring.

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
Looks like a glorified Kill-A-Watt meter , except it's for the whole house, more like a TED (The Energy Detective). Kind of cool though that it apparently taps right into the meter inductively, meaning no wiring or exposure to wiring.
Honestly, I don't think that it's doing it's think via induction. Reading their website, it seems like it counts pulses from the meter, and in this case an optical sensor is in place over the disk.

We have something similar for when we're doing accuracy checks on meters, but honestly it's such a pain in the rear to configure, we usually trigger the pulses manually.

Why the poco is using it, that I couldn't tell you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.