Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a discussion with my apprentice today about the need for 200A services in residential. Anyone ever see an overloaded 120/240V main trip, if so what was the service feeding, A/C, electric heat, several water heaters, massive unbalanced 120?

Just looking for some good discussion on 100/200A.

TWN

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Having a discussion with my apprentice today about the need for 200A services in residential. Anyone ever see an overloaded 120/240V main trip, if so what was the service feeding, A/C, electric heat, several water heaters, massive unbalanced 120?

Just looking for some good discussion on 100/200A.

TWN
Most of the load you cited was 240 volts, so no imbalance, just overloaded.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the load you cited was 240 volts, so no imbalance, just overloaded.
I agree, I'm talking window shaker A/C, portable electric heaters etc.

I'm not at all for 200A services, I was fishing for any justification for one. Irregardless of what the NEC service calc says.

TWN

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't do new resi but I think it's standard to put in a min 200amp service in new construction homes regardless of the size or load demands.
I just moved into a 2300 sq brand new home with all gas appliances, pretty sure 100 amps would be enough but they slapped in a 2 hundo.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
100A is enough for most if you don't use electric for all your heating and cooking. Even still, building a new house or doing a new service, I'd always put in 200A.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I don't do new resi but I think it's standard to put in a min 200amp service in new construction homes regardless of the size or load demands.
I just moved into a 2300 sq brand new home with all gas appliances, pretty sure 100 amps would be enough but they slapped in a 2 hundo.
Many smaller new homes in my area will get a 100 amp service, but this will only be for an all gas home.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get a kick out of that, around here any residential service gets the good ol' #2 triplex from the POCO no matter what the service is. Commercial is another story, but I can't count the times a 200A "upgraded service" has been installed and the POCO just disconnects the old 100A and reconnects the triplex to the new 200A service and the customer is none the wiser.

You must be speaking of a ground source HP? Never seen one of those here, although I've installed many air source mini splits (have my universal 608 license).

TWN

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I get a kick out of that, around here any residential service gets the good ol' #2 triplex from the POCO no matter what the service is. Commercial is another story, but I can't count the times a 200A "upgraded service" has been installed and the POCO just disconnects the old 100A and reconnects the triplex to the new 200A service and the customer is none the wiser.

You must be speaking of a ground source HP? Never seen one of those here, although I've installed many air source mini splits (have my universal 608 license).

TWN

The power company has real load data to determine their drop conductor and transformer sizing. It's about 1/3 to 1/4 of the NEC calculated load.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I've seen a shlowmo short a bus bar tying in a 200a service.

He made it out in tact.

I was stunned with ringing ears and blued eyes walking up from 5'.

Does that count? He was overloaded... With arrogance....

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
saw one tripped, it was fried! but with a new breaker, there was no reason for it that i could find. with everything on possible it didnt pull over 70a. i have never metered a house with a 100a service that read over 70a, most of them less

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I had to replace lots of meter main sockets because the plug in style 100 amp breakers on the busbars were not gripping tightly enough. By the time I am called in the two pole 100 amp main is pretty much charcoal, along with the bus behind it. I do not think it happens from overload though, just loose connections onto the busbar. Some of them were because some tardo did not remember to tighten the lugs on the load side of the breakers.

Reactions: papaotis

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
So many variables considering location, climate, other fuel options, size, etc.

I have a medium size total electric house and just my heat pump air handler alone has a 100 amp breaker for the 20k of resistance heat. Water heater, dryer, stove, oven, HP compressor, I could probably stress my main.

Also, none of the POCO's in this area will install anything smaller than 200 amps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ran a line for a new range a few years ago. The building owner bought a power cord with the range. He plugged it in to see if he got the correct cord. That tripped the main. He said it was loud and bright.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
I know of a full service restaurant with living quarters that operates on a 100 amp service.
Range hood, tons of cooling, hot table buffet....the works.

I could put a 50 amp main in a lot of services tomorrow and never get a call back.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I have short circuited 15 amp circuits with a pair of ***** and that tripped the 100 amp main breakers.........

But that ain't what we talkin bout here Vern..............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.