Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a concrete high rise, and we have our j-box's in the wall. The location of the j-box was not as-builted, and pvc coated mc was used. I'm looking for ideas on how to locate this j-box with as little damage as possible.
Has anyone ever used a toner that could read through concrete? One that's affordable enough to afford personally that is.
Thanks for any help.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
Sounds like you ****ed up, never had a problem locating a junction box on a poured slab build.

Forgetting to pipe in a junction box, well, that's a hole different story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's obviously a fu** up, but it was one of those last minute deals you get it while their trying to close up a wall....what are ya gonna do. But I need ideas, not someone to point out the obviousness of this situation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tap around with a hammer, if it's not too deep you should hear a difference. If it's in the slab you can pour some water (not a lot) on the ground in the area that you think it's in and you can sometimes see the outline of the box. Then just bust it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried

I tried the hammer, and I can't locate it. Walls already painted though and I want to damage as little as possible, cause I'm not looking forward to the patch and paint part of this screw up either.

·
Registered
14,341 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Works with drywall, I use magnets for stud finders as well. Fooled a few moron's into thinking they were homemade wood magnets.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
They make a locator for walker duct we have used it for many years on decks to locate outlet openings of duct poured in a deck after a pour when your ready to open up for wire pulling you turn it on and you locate the metal opening you walk across floor it beeps when your over the metal duck opening .

In old days we would install duck in decks over the openings we would install a magnetic cover plate on duck then we use a magnetic stick to locate but today is electronic devices like a radio signal on wiring then just run your receiver over floor it picks up signal when close to opening strong when over it weak when not kinda simple .

You can find anything if it has a wire !

But you can also use a wire finder like the one use to find underground cable just hook up a cable locator heres another option .

Chipping hammer !

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
Reactions: hooch

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Jeremy,

Reading your original post, It was your screw up and you are looking to pay for this with your dime? Why don't you just have your foreman call Casper and have them bring an xray? Is this just one box or hundreds? New condos on 10th Ave.?

·
Registered
14,341 Posts
CTshockhazard said:
Yeah that, or you could try it old school and have someone bounce a snake off the box while you hold your ear to the wall.
I think the OP mentions MC cable though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After looking at all the options and ideas and costs associated with each, it's just going to be cheaper to re pipe the run, re-feed and abandon in wall run. Thanks for all the ideas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts