Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I’ve been pretty busy the past couple of months and have not been posting much on this forum. But I’ve lurked a little bit and I’ve also been getting private messages and phone calls from some of you guys asking me various questions about internet marketing.

Since I own both an electrical contracting company and an internet marketing company, I was thinking about posting a series of short articles covering various aspects of internet marketing for electricians. I could make each one it’s own thread, and then people could ask questions and make comments about that particular aspect of internet marketing. What do you think? Any interest? Any particular questions you'd like answered?

·
Banned
72 Posts
Marketing

I would love to hear ideas. The only problem for me is I don't have internet yet (use friends computer or library one) and there are not many people where I live but I would love to hear ideas.

John S.

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
Sure. I have a question....how to you distiniguish yourself from the big guys?...They PAY alot to get their names first on a google search...There seems likes there is no way around this...What say you?

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure. I have a question....how to you distiniguish yourself from the big guys?...They PAY alot to get their names first on a google search...There seems likes there is no way around this...What say you?
Would love to hear your idea's! Im interested in the same as nola
This question is a good one to get started with, so here goes:

Three Places Your Website Can Be On Google Page 1

There are actually three different places your website can appear on page #1 of the Google search results. These three places are:
1. The Google AdWords (sometimes called Pay-Per-Click) section
2. The Google Map
3. The natural listings (sometimes called the organic listings)

The Google Pay-Per-Click section is usually at the top (but not always), and also on the right-hand side of the page. These listings are labeled “Sponsored Links,” and anyone who is willing to pay money to Google can get their website listed in this location.

The Google Map is on the left-hand side of the page under the Sponsored Links. It’s easy to find because it looks exactly like what it is - a map. To the right of the map there are one or more businesses listed. Being listed by Google on the map is free. In fact, you can’t pay Google to be put on the map. Google needs to decide for itself that your business is “relevant” enough to be put on their map.

Underneath the map, in the natural listings, are the first 10 websites of page after page of listings. There are 10 websites listed on each page, but for practical purposes, your website needs to be on page #1 or your potential customers will almost never find your company. Again, being listed in the natural listings is free to you. Google decides on what order websites get listed on the basis of which website they consider the most relevant for whatever search term was typed into the Google search bar.

To give you an example of how this works, I’ll use one of my own company’s websites to demonstrate where these three places are. If you type in contractor websites, Tujunga CA in the Google search bar, the first page of the Google search results will show up. There are three possible locations that a website, in this case www.HappyContractor.com, can show up on this page. My website is listed in two of these places; on the map, and in the natural listings.

Companies advertising their services in Pay-Per-Click section are listed above the map. I could have listed the website there as well, but since my company’s website already dominates this page in the two other areas of the Google page that are free, I’m don’t need to spend any money on a paid listing.

So there are the three ways your company can be listed on the first page of Google. Only one requires actual dollars to be listed. The other two are “free” listings, although it generally takes specific SEO (Search Engine Optimization) know-how to accomplish this. That’s why many contractors hire SEO experts to get their website listed on the first page of Google. But, to be honest, if an electrical contractor has a little time and is willing to learn how, they can often do the SEO work themselves.

Depending on exactly where a contractor is located, the payoff for a good Google listing can be big. I’ve mentioned one time somewhere else on this forum that my own electrical contracting company earned around $500,000 in 2009 from the new customers who found my electrical contracting company on the internet. And some of my other company’s clients are earning even more. On the other hand, if your customer base is in a small rural town of 15,000, and nobody there uses the internet, you’re not going to benefit much from internet marketing. Anyway, if you’re reading this and wondering if it’s worth it to learn more about internet marketing, I hope this article helps. Any other questions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks LA.

I would love to see you discuss Google Adwords at length. In my area, I am first in the organic listings in nearly all search word combinations, and I am first next to the map in my direct area.

I have been buying Adwords, but others seem to think I am wasting my money. I am on the fence. Are the Ads worthless in my situation, or is it like the old "Madmen" adage that half of all advertising is a waste of money. The problem is not one knows which half....

Is it possible that the Adwords are helping my organic placement? Is it possible that the Adwords enhance my "impressions" because people see my ad "three" times on a page....

Any insight would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Following User Says Thank You to LAElectrician For This Useful Post:
robnj772 (Yesterday)

Thanks robnj772, for your kind words. And how did you do that post on the left hand side of the posting area? I've never seen that.

·
child please.....
5,311 Posts
The Following User Says Thank You to LAElectrician For This Useful Post:
robnj772 (Yesterday)

Thanks robnj772, for your kind words. And how did you do that post on the left hand side of the posting area? I've never seen that.
Goof info...thanks...How do I get Google to consider me "1st page worthy"...Do HAVE to have a website...or is their some other set of parameters that they use to decide that?

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks LA.

I would love to see you discuss Google Adwords at length. In my area, I am first in the organic listings in nearly all search word combinations, and I am first next to the map in my direct area.

I have been buying Adwords, but others seem to think I am wasting my money. I am on the fence. Are the Ads worthless in my situation, or is it like the old "Madmen" adage that half of all advertising is a waste of money. The problem is not one knows which half....

Is it possible that the Adwords are helping my organic placement? Is it possible that the Adwords enhance my "impressions" because people see my ad "three" times on a page....

Any insight would be very appreciated!

Thanks!
First of all Kiwisholland, let me compliment you on your website and your SEO efforts. Both are obviously very effective and I can see by the content on your website that you are serious about your electrical contracting business. Regarding your request that I discuss Google Adwords at length, I’ll try to write something about that soon.

You also had three questions about Google Adwords:
Question #1. Are the Ads worthless in my situation, or is it like the old "Madmen" adage that half of all advertising is a waste of money. The problem is not one knows which half....

Answer: There are several ways to know if your are getting calls from your Google Adwords. For example, there are internet-based companies which facilitate your assigning 800 numbers to some or all key words in your Adwords account. You can find out which key word/phrases result in phone calls to your company and you can even listen to the recorded calls to see what happened on these calls.

Question #2. Is it possible that the Adwords are helping my organic placement?

Answer: Not directly. Google says that they don’t count their own links from Adwords as in-bound links that help your website ranking. But, of course, they do count the number of people who visit your website, and some of these people also bookmark your website address, both of which can be helpful in Google’s evaluation of your website’s “relevancy.”

Question #3. Is it possible that the Adwords enhance my "impressions" because people see my ad "three" times on a page.

Answer: In my opinion, yes. I’ve got to believe that the more someone sees your company name and website address, the more “credibility” your company is going to have.

Bonus Tip: Put your phone number in all your Adwords ads. A certain percentage of people just want to call an electrician as soon as possible and will notice your phone number and call your company without even clicking on your ad. This not only saves you the cost of the click, but these kind of people are almost always ready to hire your company immediately for work.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Kim, I have question... is there a reason NOT to secure a .mobi website? I was thinking that the domain name itself that I was thinking of contains keywords that would be beneficial to my business because once people find the .mobi website obviously there'll be link to Classic Electric Online .com. Let me know what you think of this idea.

thanks.

How about a .net?

·
Registered
38 Posts
More great tips, thanks!

I am occasionally baffled how people find our site. I gingerly ask "how they found our phone number or website", etc. But some of the searches they mention I cannot in any way duplicate.

I am leary of "linked" phone numbers. In the past i have used the call tracking numbers provided by the yellow pages or whomever, but I hate losing that number when the campaign is over.

What if that customer(s) keep/remember the "linked" phone number and try to use it in the future:

"Hmmm, this number is not working, they must be out of business, I guess ill try this OTHER guy..."

I have to be convinced about tracking numbers going forward, i.e., for Google Adwords tracking.

Thanks again.

Since you are here sort-of-hawking your business. Any tips on creating a killer Adwords ad. I think mine are good, but as stated earlier - WHO KNOWS, without firm tracking.

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goof info...thanks...How do I get Google to consider me "1st page worthy"...Do HAVE to have a website...or is their some other set of parameters that they use to decide that?
Answering your question “How do I get Google to consider me "1st page worthy?” I can only say that there are many, many ways to do this, but this is way too big a subject to cover in a forum reply. Entire books are written on this subject. A good one to start with is SEO for Dummies.

Regarding your other question “Do I HAVE to have a website or is their some other set of parameters that Google uses to decide that?” Here’s my answer:

As I’ve mentioned before, there are three ways your business can appear on Google page #1:
1. The Google AdWords (sometimes called Pay-Per-Click) section
2. The Google Map
3. The natural listings (sometimes called the organic listings)

It is possible to get on the first page of Google without a website in the map section and in the natural listings. Google prefers businesses with websites in the Map area, but will list non-website businesses if there isn’t a lot of competition in a particular business category for that geographic area.

Your business can also get listed in the Google natural listings when Google lists a website such as www.MerchantCircle.com and MerchantCircle happens to be featuring your business on their website. What will happen is people will click on the MerchantCircle website link and see a profile of your business.

However, while these two things can happen, the larger the population base your business is in, the more competition your business will have, and the less likely your non-website business will be listed.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I'm interested in internet marketing. what kind of **** links do you sell ?

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Magnettica:

Ad your website and relevant search terms to your signature. It can help when the spiders look for your site.
Yes, I'm aware of that but to be honest I sometimes say things on here that I don't want a customer to see or read. But thanks for the tip.

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More great tips, thanks!

I am leary of "linked" phone numbers. In the past i have used the call tracking numbers provided by the yellow pages or whomever, but I hate losing that number when the campaign is over.

What if that customer(s) keep/remember the "linked" phone number and try to use it in the future:

"Hmmm, this number is not working, they must be out of business, I guess ill try this OTHER guy..."

Any tips on creating a killer Adwords ad. I think mine are good, but as stated earlier - WHO KNOWS, without firm tracking.
You can get very inexpensive tracking phone numbers from www.kall8.com. They are very inexpensive to get and use, you can listen to recorded calls, and the number belongs to you as long as you want, so you never have to worry about your customers using the number in the future and not reaching you.

In an earlier post I mentioned that you should always put your phone number in your Adwords ad. Here's another tip: Be sure to set up your Adwords ads to be shown by Google ONLY WHEN A LIVE PERSON WILL ANSWER THE PHONE. This will save you a lot of wasted money.

·
LAElectrician
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kim, I have question... is there a reason NOT to secure a .mobi website? I was thinking that the domain name itself that I was thinking of contains keywords that would be beneficial to my business because once people find the .mobi website obviously there'll be link to Classic Electric Online .com. Let me know what you think of this idea.

thanks.

How about a .net?
Sorry about my taking so long to answer your question, Magnettica. Actually, I wrote this answer a week ago, but then my dog ate it, or peed on it, or some such. I can’t exactly remember what happened, but the good news is that I wrote the whole thing over again. True story. Honest.

The .mobi designation is used for a special website format used when viewing a website on a mobile phone. Here’s a link to my company’s .mobi website.

In theory, when someone types in your website name “Classic Electric Online .com,” from a mobile phone, your .com website would “know” that the person contacting the .com website was looking at the website from a mobile phone and would instantly link them to the .mobi website.

.mobi websites have been around for a couple of years and could become a really big thing in the future. Or maybe not. Anyway, yes, I would advise you to secure a .mobi domain name for you company while it is available in case you need it in the future.

Regarding your getting the .net, you might want to secure it just so no competitor scoops it up and uses it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts