Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never used these boxes cause they're a bit pricey but I'm doing a rewire in plaster/lath house and I'm loving them. Probably still use old work box with madison bars in drywall but these are great right now.

Attachments

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I never used these boxes cause they're a bit pricey but I'm doing a rewire in plaster/lath house and I'm loving them. Probably still use old work box with madison bars in drywall but these are great right now.
No internal clamps, miserable.
I prefer Slater old work provided nm is used.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Am I the only one that likes the heavy duty " hard shell " carlon old work boxes ? For commercial work I'll use metal boxes with Madison bars , but as far as residential goes , I'm not putting in a metal box when everything else in the place , is plastic or fiberglass . A tip for the flip out wing old works is to run the screws in all the way through the wing , before installation so you're not fighting and rounding off the heads on the garbage screws they use .

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Chrisibew440 said:
Absolutely. Just wait till you have to shove a gfci in their.
It will work , but I recommend running in the unused screws and taping over the terminal , to avoid a spark show , lol .

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
Am I the only one that likes the heavy duty " hard shell " carlon old work boxes ? For commercial work I'll use metal boxes with Madison bars , but as far as residential goes , I'm not putting in a metal box when everything else in the place , is plastic or fiberglass . A tip for the flip out wing old works is to run the screws in all the way through the wing , before installation so you're not fighting and rounding off the heads on the garbage screws they use .
I use plastics in resi

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
What do you use in plaster/lathe walls?
We always use Slater plastic cut it boxes when using NM. The tabs are set back far enough for plaster/lathe.

I always hated fumbling with those side tabs and they took up valuable space in the already narrow metal box.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts