Electrician Talk banner

Anyone with 177 in Jacksonville?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  splatz 
#1 ·
Just started work as an apprentice in an open shop (literally just started on monday) but thinking about trying to get on with the IBEW in Jacksonville. I can already tell this open shop isnt going to work out. For me. The foreman doesnt seem to know code. My first day we had to pull all the MC wire they had spent the last 2 days handing because he told them to strap it to the ridged ceiling. (NEC says it must be 1.5in below the lowest part) the last 2 days we have had to go back over everything we've done (hanging work lights) because hes changed his mind half way through on how he wants it done, or it changes from day to day.
With my current job I gotta work there for a year before they will decide to send me to school. The IBEW will obviously send me right away and it's a 3/hr pay raise plus benefits. But it's an extra hour plus of driving. I drive an hour now as it is.
Would it be smart to switch or am I just being a whiney ass?

#4 ·
Just started work as an apprentice
Are you a registered apprentice? Otherwise you are a helper.

you seem to have all the answers yet no experience.do as you are asked and don't complain. Open or closed shop, your only cheap replaceable labor.
$3.00 hour plus benefits add up and mean a lot.
good luck
Started Monday a Master by Tuesday, which sometimes means an annoying helper.

#5 ·
Just started work as an apprentice in an open shop (literally just started on monday) but thinking about trying to get on with the IBEW in Jacksonville. I can already tell this open shop isnt going to work out. For me. The foreman doesnt seem to know code. My first day we had to pull all the MC wire they had spent the last 2 days handing because he told them to strap it to the ridged ceiling. (NEC says it must be 1.5in below the lowest part) the last 2 days we have had to go back over everything we've done (hanging work lights) because hes changed his mind half way through on how he wants it done, or it changes from day to day.
With my current job I gotta work there for a year before they will decide to send me to school. The IBEW will obviously send me right away and it's a 3/hr pay raise plus benefits. But it's an extra hour plus of driving. I drive an hour now as it is.
Would it be smart to switch or am I just being a whiney ass?
Yes, and yes.

$3 / hour = $24 / day minimum and probably double that the value of your benefits ... that's well worth an extra hour of driving, without even figuring the value of the schooling. If you can get in, it's a no brainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.