Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking for code section that states whether or not I can use a appliance cord for a garbage disposal. I've been running flex for years and was told recently that I can use a cord but cant find the code for it...
If you live in the US. You can. We put the disposal and dishwasher on the same circuit. Run 12/3 romex from disposal switch to a receptacle under the sink. One switched the other hot all time. 3' appliance cord on the disposal and 6' cord on the dishwasher ...

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
I don't have the book in front of me, but I was under the impression that the majority of appliances are not UL listed for cord and plug connection unless they are supplied with a factory installed attachment plug... Might just be the 2014 revision... I'm generally confused

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The rule in 422.16 says that the use of a cord must be permitted by the instructions. This rule has been in the code for sometime. The oldest I have on this computer is the 99 code and it was in there. The following is from the 2014 code and there have been some minor wording changes over the code cycles but the underlined wording has not changed.
Electrically Operated In-Sink Waste Disposers. Electrically operated in-sink waste disposers shall be permitted to be cord-and plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable in the installation instructions of the appliance manufacturer where all of the following conditions are met: ...

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I prefer to do the same thing by attaching a cord for these appliances. It costs a bit more for materials but if there's an older panel you may not be able to get the lockout for the circuit breaker.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,342 Posts
Dishwasher: Cord receptacle, outlet, romex connector, and single gang box, easily twice the $ as .33 cents single pole switch 15 amps residential grade, two gang box to gang it next to the disposal receptacle, two gang plate, romex connector for switch controlled direct wire. And no hole to drill in the cabinet.
Just sayin.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.