Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a kitchen rewire and had everything roughed in, prior to cabinetry and appliance delivery. Final connections were in the appliance stores scope.

The cabinet installers/kitchen designer were to coordinate with the appliance store for delivery and install the same day cabinets were going in (they figured a late day appliance delivery would be ok) I said this was a bad idea, but whatever.

Cabinet day comes and appliance guys show up early, won't wait and just leave appliances in living room.

The HO is now looking at me me to install appliances. Gas/Electric range combo, electric wall oven, range hood.

Brand new cabinets, new granite counter-tops and appliances that were dropped off, signed for but never run.

Am I in the right to tell him to get the appliance guys back and do the hookups. The jobs already been a PITA and this is the last straw.

How common is this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Doing a kitchen rewire and had everything roughed in, prior to cabinetry and appliance delivery. Final connections were in the appliance stores scope.

The cabinet installers/kitchen designer were to coordinate with the appliance store for delivery and install the same day cabinets were going in (they figured a late day appliance delivery would be ok) I said this was a bad idea, but whatever.

Cabinet day comes and appliance guys show up early, won't wait and just leave appliances in living room.

The HO is now looking at me me to install appliances. Gas/Electric range combo, electric wall oven, range hood.

Brand new cabinets, new granite counter-tops and appliances that were dropped off, signed for but never run.

Am I in the right to tell him to get the appliance guys back and do the hookups. The jobs already been a PITA and this is the last straw.

How common is this?
Yea, electricians don't do plumbing... electricians + gas pipes= kaboom...

Very common and not your problem.

If you want to help out and make some more money, knock yourself out :thumbsup: If you want to bail, that's what I'd do (with a PITA customer)

Who is doing the plumbing and duct?

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't do appliance either.

Only thing gas ill work on is gas furnace if its a bad blower motor. But had one gas furnace I would not work on, the vent pipe was in way of removing blower unit. Told home owner to call heating guy.

If anything goes wrong it will come back to who touched it last. If not qualified or licensed, don't touch. Better to walk away than have someone charge you if something happens.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts

How common is this?

Chalk it up as a lessoned learned for the next kitchen remodel. Have that all in your proposal so this doesn't happen. Have no language in your contract other than "install single receptacle in upper cabinet above microwave" or "Install wiring and 20 amp, 120 volt circuit for dishwasher." If nothing is written about installing a dishwasher, or a microwave, then it won't be expected of you to install it. The wording is very important. You have a signed contract right?

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,516 Posts
run like hell. You are an electrician, not a sears installer. last time I agreed to install a convection cooktop and hood, it sucked and vowed to myself that I will never put myself in that position again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had one customer who I rewired his whole kitchen for a Reno.

Cabinet guy left for long weekend, around Christmas time and I was at end of day before weekend to connect his cooktop and oven for the holiday.
Cooktop already installed, just had to wire. And oven was in his porch, we dragged it in and the hole in the face frame for it was too small. The cabinet guy measured wrong.

Customer "you can cut it, we need the oven for holiday dinner"

I just look at him "i can.. But I won't. If I mess up the cut, who going to cover it?"
Told him he had to wait for cabinet guy to come back after holiday and fix his error.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chalk it up as a lessoned learned for the next kitchen remodel. Have that all in your proposal so this doesn't happen. Have no language in your contract other than "install single receptacle in upper cabinet above microwave" or "Install wiring and 20 amp, 120 volt circuit for dishwasher." If nothing is written about installing a dishwasher, or a microwave, then it won't be expected of you to install it. The wording is very important. You have a signed contract right?
Yes I have a contract, with similar wording.

Still, doesn't stop people from having the wrong interpretation or expectations. Just get the blank stare when I say it's not in my scope.

·
332 Posts
Magnettica said:
Chalk it up as a lessoned learned for the next kitchen remodel.
Exactly. I connect the appliances, I do not install them, and in my opinion, this is how you need to do it also. If you've wired it, every connection is your responsibility. Do you really want a bad connection on a double oven to burn the new kitchen up? Doesn't matter if Home Depot appliance guys installed it, and you were off the hook. There is still a house that burned after your truck with your name on it was there working. Put the cords on the stove, dishwasher, and garbage disposal. Connect the whips on the oven and cooktop, but do not fasten them in place. Next time you are figuring a kitchen, add in the costs of the cords, and half a day labor, and you'll be golden.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.