Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, back again with a quick question. No long form stuff lol. Before I begin, I just want to say I HATE discussing individual pay amounts, but under these circumstances, I feel it's necessary.
I got a call today about starting Monday with a company thus, finally getting in the Union, so I'm happy about that. But what I was wanting to know is my current pay scale says Apprentice 4 , which is about $19 an hour . I was wondering. Is that AFTER benefits are taken or before? The reason I ask, is I am currently in a dead end job but I make $1 more than that on the hour , without benefits. I don't mind a slight cut, but if these is BEFORE benefits are taken? I realistically can't afford to take the job as HORRIBLE as that sounds and believe me, I WANT this union job. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
32,967 Posts
I'm stuck at a dead end job but cant afford a dollar an hour pay cut........
Does anyone no what it means to take one step backwards to go two steps forward?
Its like everyone wants instant gradification these days.
The benefits alone..........Regular pay raises.........education..........REAL RETIREMENT............NAH go back to where you were.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
I'm stuck at a dead end job but cant afford a dollar an hour pay cut........
Does anyone no what it means to take one step backwards to go two steps forward?
Its like everyone wants instant gradification these days.

When I got into the apprenticeship, I took a $6hr cut. It was tough but paid off. In 2005 I quit my union job and took a job as an E&I maintenance supervisor. That was a $9hr cut. I made that up just after a year. 4 yrs later I went back to my union job with a $2 cut and now I am way better off. They were tough decisions since I had kids, but it's really paid off. Not only in wages, but also experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well kind of... I have done tree work for a living and taking a chance and taking a 3 dollar cut to do an apprenticeship where the rate dropped a buck and a half from when I applied to the time I got accepted.

I know that I will never make the journyman wage in the tree business so hopeing for the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.