Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys Just stumbled upon the site saw a few good topics so i figured Id

stop for a quick read and maybe drop a few questions on how I can become

a better electrician.

My Names Sam, Im 21, I got into the trade the summer after high school

My Resume consists of a little construction but its mainly for a commercial

maintenance company that specializes in lighting retrofits.

Im interested in finding some peoples opinions on where i can go from

here and what fields i should be trying to persue along with any other

courses i could take to supplement my apprenticeship.

-North

·
√-1 2³ Σ π
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

To be a better electrician just keep studying between many many other things.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you want to get your 309 then you have to work construction. At least a couple of years, anyway, so watch for a job that will give you that experience.
What facet of electrical work interests you the most? Residential? Commercial? Industrial? Do you want to eventually hang your own shingle?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hey Guys Just stumbled upon the site saw a few good topics so i figured Id

stop for a quick read and maybe drop a few questions on how I can become

a better electrician.

My Names Sam, Im 21, I got into the trade the summer after high school

My Resume consists of a little construction but its mainly for a commercial

maintenance company that specializes in lighting retrofits.

Im interested in finding some peoples opinions on where i can go from

here and what fields i should be trying to persue along with any other

courses i could take to supplement my apprenticeship.

-North
Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have worked in construction my whole career except for a working-holiday in Belgium, and it is good experience. An instructor even told me that in school when I was asking about plant maintenance: he said to stay in construction for a while because that's the best experience.

But it may depend on the company. A company that does a wider variety of work will probably provide more opportunities to get your hands on different things. I have met people who have had the privilege of doing very interesting things with larger companies, but on the other hand it seems most people say you get to do more with a smaller, maybe medium sized company, because in a large company they have the man power to make different crews. If you are on the crew that pulls the wire, that's all you do with that crew. You will get very, very good at pulling wire, but you may need to ask the company to change you up now and then or you will spend too many years doing the same thing. In my experience with a company of less than 20 electricians/apprentices, I was generally put on a job and everyone did whatever needed doing. I saw a number of jobs, that took 3-4 months or more, through basically from start to finish.

Attitude, it seems to me, can play a role as well. Some guys don't care about learning and developing, but obviously you do. And if that is apparent on the job, as well being a company guy, willing to make the effort to the sake of getting the job done, it becomes known through the foreman up into management. Pay attention to what is going on, ask questions, and they will likely give you privileges of experience. Believe it or not, some guys just want to run pipe or pull wire for 8 hours and only care about the pay check and the weekend.

As for courses, I went to school at BCIT, and they have courses that are offered to journeymen only. Until you complete your apprenticeship, I am not sure, other than maybe some electrical code seminar open to anyone, if there are actual courses that you can enroll in. But you are free to read and educate yourself as much as you want. Study the electrical code, or explanations on code like the CSA's own supplementary book or Peter Knights book. Cost a few bucks but very good information, code is central to what we do. Forums like this are good, other internet resources, the library... and these won't cost you anything either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts