Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the text for my next class in advance, so I don't yet have instruction in this, and I've never done it at work. In this picture, where would the neutrals be connected?

Sorry, I flipped the photo, but I don't think that will be reflected in the text.

Also, there is a section on closing a delta secondary. It says that prior to closing, a voltmeter on the open section should read 0V. I don't understand why this is. Also, if there is a mistake and it does not show that reading, how do you determine which coil is connected incorrectly? Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, I have seen wye connections with a neutral, but it wasn't shown here, so I didn't know. Where else might it go? I have seen deltas with a neutral center tapped on one of the coils, but the diagrams in this part of the book don't show that. They show deltas in which the voltage each phase and on the lines are all the same. Where does the neutral go in such a case?

Thanks, Randy. The way you structured your answer was better than spoon feeding me. Brian John seems to disagree with the content of your answer, but I'm waiting to hear from others.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don_resqcapt19 said:
That is a wye/delta with the load being on the delta side. The wye side is the primary and typically you do not use a grounded conductor on the primary of a 3 phase transformer. The secondary of that transformer is not intended for other than phase to phase loads and there is no neutral.
Thanks. Why are neutrals not used on these? I have only ever done doorbell transformers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dronai said:
I really think you should get enrolled in hands on courses, or in an apprenticeship. You would really enjoy the whole education, and hands on experience vs the bits and pieces of information you are getting on here. Some of the colleges have great classes as well. The classes I took have labs also. Also, if you just got a job with a commercial contractor, or in a plant, you would learn a heck of a lot more than sitting on here.
I'd love a job in a plant. I don't have experience in that kind of work, but I should start putting myself out there.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big John said:
So all the high-side phases are all H1, the neutral is H2, and all the low-side terminals are all dual labeled X1/X2. Can't wait to see the guys apply their book-learning on the next transformer they get to wire!
:D

Hey, would you mind telling me what the curly q lines are? I was told they are a handle to grab on to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.