Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the site but have found it at a good time because I think I am at a crossroads in my apprenticeship.

First off, a few simple questions heading into a renegotiation of my salary with my employer as I finished Level 1 of school with very high marks.
1. Wage
Do wages fluctuate with the quality of apprentice? I'm very smart, work hard and am very flexible in schedule. I do want a higher than average wage from my employer who I've been with for a full year, what should I ask for?

2. Mileage
My employer takes a lot of out of town work. Which is fine, but he has one regular residential contractor about an hour and a half from town. Long windy single lane mountain highway that can get icy at 6am in the morning when I'm driving up. I've used my own vehicle the past year and went through a pair of tires and a lot of my own off-time hours. When I had my first raise, he gave me an extra dollar an hour for my car use. This has turned out to be a gross underestimation of costs for my car and I've been left feeling used.

The time it takes to drive up there, 3 hours round trip, can get up to 3 times a week, 9 hours of time! Of which I am paid hourly for one leg of the trip, 1.5 hours.

I'm planning on asking for 55 cents a litre for all driving of more than 45 minutes.

3. Benefits
I am planning on asking if there is a timeline for when benefits - if any - kick in. Do any companies offer benefits packages for their apprentices? Am I way outta my league with this request?

One other issue I want to bring up is accessibility to bathrooms on jobsite, yes I am a woman and yes I drink as much water as I can all day. This one contracter which is out of town "doesn't like jiffy johns" and "won't bring them on his jobsites" My employer agreed it was stupid, and I said how much it really REALLY sucks to have to drive for 10 minutes to go to the bathroom. So not only am I driving my own car a TON to work for this one contractor, but I loathe being there! I don't want my work interrupted on the inconvenient fact that I am a female and it also sucked that my employer did not stick up to me.

Should I just quit?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,598 Posts
Welcome aboard!

1. Ask for a raise and the mileage reimbursement you're are seeking.

2. Apply to a Union local, get the pay and benefits you should be getting.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
In Hawaii and California, travel time beyond 1-hour has to be compensated at straight wages -- or even time-and-a-half. ( hours total past 8 that day )

You'll have to do your own research for BC rules.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
In Hawaii and California, travel time beyond 1-hour has to be compensated at straight wages -- or even time-and-a-half. ( hours total past 8 that day )

You'll have to do your own research for BC rules.
????

Elaborate with a few examples?

If I worked on a project that was 2 hours from my house I never was paid any travel time. I was required to show up at 6 or 7 am and then done at 2:30 or 3 pm. The drive to and from a job site was on my own time and dime.

Now if I had to go from project A to project B, in the middle of a shift, then I was compensated not only for my time but for my mileage.

Is that what you are talking about?

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor, Master/FSR Electrician
641 Posts
Are you in the interior?

Northern BC ibew993.org
Lower mainland ibew213.org
Kootenays ibew1003.org
Island ibew230.org

I've worked for one non-union company as an apprentice that had benefits, but it was commercial work. I don't know of any resi (non-union shops) that have benefits. But that is only my experience here on the island.

Union work gives you an edge in training and experience, but it is commercial and/or industrial. Work can be spotty. And it may not be local, but you'll be compensated accordingly. And they have a great benefits package:)

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
????

Elaborate with a few examples?

If I worked on a project that was 2 hours from my house I never was paid any travel time. I was required to show up at 6 or 7 am and then done at 2:30 or 3 pm. The drive to and from a job site was on my own time and dime.

Now if I had to go from project A to project B, in the middle of a shift, then I was compensated not only for my time but for my mileage.

Is that what you are talking about?
The law is that imposed 'commutes' for hourly workers ( with construction crews specifically in mind ) that run past one-hour are to be compensated as if the man is on the job. ( The first hour is on the employee. )

I have received such wages, and have met others ( electricians ) that were also so compensated.

It is a provision that is commonly ducked -- as the troopers are wholly unaware that the law exists.

If you're hired on with such a commute -- you took the job with your eyes wide open knowing the commute -- then it's not deemed an imposed commute... and wages for said commute are not required.

I know of one EC that had a 'distant' job. They made sure to hire -- fresh -- for every j-man position -- spelling out exactly how far away the job would be and the commute required. That was pretty smart.

I know of a second EC that used the exact same scheme. He was wiring up Big Grocers for hundreds of miles around. He'd hire fresh every time, too. ( Exceptions made for his GF and select favorites -- candidate foremen. )

The provision does not apply to salaried workers... etc.

But I'm not an attorney... and things (laws) may have changed.

I have no idea if BC has similar legislation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts