Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing on behalf of my husband who is an apprentice electrician. He's been an apprentice for about 6 months now. His employer is based in Maryland and does work all around the Eastern Shore, including Delaware. We live in Delaware and he is currently enrolled in the Delaware apprenticeship program. He goes to school on Tuesday and Thursday night from 6-9. Due to completing an electrical training course when we lived in Wisconsin, he got to skip to 2nd year of school here in Delaware. Anyway his boss gave him an application today to enroll in school in Maryland. We paid $300 out of pocket for his schooling in Delaware because he's a first time apprentice and now we are being told he has to pay $1,000 to go to school in Maryland. On his school nights he gets out of class at the time he's supposed to go to sleep so those nights he isn't getting his full 8 hours of sleep (not to complain, I know you all have gone through this yourself). If he has to go to school in Maryland as well, he'll be going to school 4 nights a week. Not to mention we are being told the nearest school location is across the bridge, 90 minutes from our house. And Marylands classes go until 9:30 at night so he wouldn't get home until 11pm and have to get up at 4:30-5am for work. I just don't see how this is possible.

Can anyone give us any advice on this situation? Is it necessary to go to apprentice school in 2 different states? Can he be fired for saying he doesn't want to do it? It isn't like he isn't trying he is going to school in Delaware after all. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am writing on behalf of my husband who is an apprentice electrician. He's been an apprentice for about 6 months now. His employer is based in Maryland and does work all around the Eastern Shore, including Delaware. We live in Delaware and he is currently enrolled in the Delaware apprenticeship program. He goes to school on Tuesday and Thursday night from 6-9. Due to completing an electrical training course when we lived in Wisconsin, he got to skip to 2nd year of school here in Delaware. Anyway his boss gave him an application today to enroll in school in Maryland. We paid $300 out of pocket for his schooling in Delaware because he's a first time apprentice and now we are being told he has to pay $1,000 to go to school in Maryland. On his school nights he gets out of class at the time he's supposed to go to sleep so those nights he isn't getting his full 8 hours of sleep (not to complain, I know you all have gone through this yourself). If he has to go to school in Maryland as well, he'll be going to school 4 nights a week. Not to mention we are being told the nearest school location is across the bridge, 90 minutes from our house. And Marylands classes go until 9:30 at night so he wouldn't get home until 11pm and have to get up at 4:30-5am for work. I just don't see how this is possible.

Can anyone give us any advice on this situation? Is it necessary to go to apprentice school in 2 different states? Can he be fired for saying he doesn't want to do it? It isn't like he isn't trying he is going to school in Delaware after all. Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Being an electricians Apprentice is hard work,The point is to get to the point of challenging the journeymen Electricians exam and passing,it is one hell of a battle to overcome,and when he does so he will be a proud man,and you will be very proud of your husband,However this takes time and there will be blood sweat and tears.

Myself?

I had to go through hell and high water to just get to the point of Journeymen electrician , Then go back to school at night to challenge the Master Electricians exam in my state.

8 hours of sleep must be done faster,because there is no such luxury.:)

Welcome to ET..:thumbsup:

·
Estwing magic
27,427 Posts
You do what you gotta do. You should read some of the other posts on this site to see what guys are prepared to do just to get into the trade. Lack of sleep would be the least of their concerns.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'd guess there must be courses offered at the Maryland campus that are not offered at the Delaware location. If that's the case it's likely not negotiable.

However, what might be discussed is his schedule. For example, could he take this additional course at another time without falling behind in the program?

As far as refusing to take the class, what did he agree to when he accepted the apprenticeship?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I am by no means an electrician so I'm not exactly sure how all of this works. There seems to be a bit of confusion since Delaware just started this schooling a few years ago. His boss told him they want him to take his schooling in Maryland in case they get rate work, which I was personally told by them that they hardly ever get rate work. This was never mentioned when he went from helper to apprentice. They rushed and rushed to get him signed up in time for Delaware school. Like I said, he got to skip a year due to his previous schooling. Now some foreman works at the school in Maryland as a 4th year teacher and he has all of a sudden put the bug in the boss's ear that these guys need to be going to his school. Referral kickback maybe? I don't know as I said I'm pretty lost in this whole process. 2 other apprentices have been asked to do this as well and they are both quitting Delaware school to go to Maryland school. They are both first year in school but my husband is almost done with his second year. I don't want to think he just wasted the past 6 months worth of his time. I'm also really annoyed that he was just given this application yesterday (Wednesday) and they want it completed and turned in with the $25 fee tomorrow (Friday). OK I suppose we can spare $25 but then when do we have to pay this $1,000? We don't just have extra money, who does? Has anybody ever heard of their employer not paying this fee?
Oh also, it's not one additional course, it's the whole program they want them to start over in Maryland after going a year in Delaware. This just doesn't sit right with me. It's much further, he will be losing his year head start + the year he's almost done with. I'm just so worried and he's worried he'll get fired if he says no.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.