Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an apprentice in the ibew in San Diego. I have just finished my first year and know I want to take my career into higher up positions than journeyman and foreman. I have been looking into a bsee because I like challenges and enjoy solving problems. I have also thought of project managment because I would enjoy the challenges of running a job. Looking for some insight from others who have taken paths like mine. I have found a bsee degree I would be able to complete while still being in the apprenticeship. Have only found an associates in construction managment even though it does not seem like most jobs require any degree. Thanks for insight. Bsee is a bachelor in electrical engineering if you ask.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I am an apprentice in the ibew in San Diego. I have just finished my first year and know I want to take my career into higher up positions than journeyman and foreman. I have been looking into a bsee because I like challenges and enjoy solving problems. I have also thought of project managment because I would enjoy the challenges of running a job. Looking for some insight from others who have taken paths like mine. I have found a bsee degree I would be able to complete while still being in the apprenticeship. Have only found an associates in construction managment even though it does not seem like most jobs require any degree. Thanks for insight. Bsee is a bachelor in electrical engineering if you ask.
What's up bra!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I did it (BSEET), but it was tough, REAL tough. I had a wife and kid when I finally got back to it, my son referred to me as "that man" because he hardly ever saw me. Took me 4 years to finish the last 2 years (I had an AA already).

Where did you find a BSEE program that will allow you to work and go to school? All the ones I looked at (albeit 25 years ago) had too much lab work (which was only available during the day) to allow for a regular job. One word of caution on that, some of the ones that make it look easy in that regard are not accredited, so when you get out, nobody accepts that degree as valid. Make sure your program has ABET accreditation, otherwise it's possibly a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did it (BSEET), but it was tough, REAL tough. I had a wife and kid when I finally got back to it, my son referred to me as "that man" because he hardly ever saw me. Took me 4 years to finish the last 2 years (I had an AA already).

Where did you find a BSEE program that will allow you to work and go to school? All the ones I looked at (albeit 25 years ago) had too much lab work (which was only available during the day) to allow for a regular job. One word of caution on that, some of the ones that make it look easy in that regard are not accredited, so when you get out, nobody accepts that degree as valid. Make sure your program has ABET accreditation, otherwise it's possibly a waste of time and money.
Asu has an online degree that is accredited by Abet. I am going to call tomorrow and get more info on how labs are done and what not.
Surfs up brah

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Yea hitting oceanside harbor or trestles tomorrow.
O'side has looked fun lately. I'm working near the beach and have had multiple recon trips. Unfortunately my back is a little out so no surfing for me. Enjoy, the water is 66 and warming up!
sorry I can't be any help on this post. But I would agree with Chris concerning experience.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you're going that route, you better start eating and sleeping math. You'll have the basics like algebra and trig, then multiple courses in calculus, differential equations, probability and statistics...and these are just the required core classes. I went the EET route, just the Associate degree, and it was still plenty challenging. I'm not saying that you can't do the class work, but while going through an apprenticeship at the same time would be most remarkable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need experience in the field before you become a project manager. There's a lot that has to happen in order to run a job correctly.
Yes and I'm pretty sure my training center has end classes for project management. I have been in commercial construction for about 5 years and an electrician for about 3 years now. I'm young but years of construction make my bones ache sometimes and I know I still got a long way to go. With 4 years left in my program I've been wondering to myself why not invest in a different career alternative for myself that takes 4 years too. I will make around 40 to 50 bucks when I journey out in San Diego. with foreman and general foreman a must for me to keep my brain active enough during work. Just been doing a lot of thinking lately

·
Registered
144 Posts
An accredited BSCE prorgam is math intensive. You'll take enough math, that you will be at most three classes short of a math degree.

I'd recommend doing the three semester series in calculus before you decide. If you can do that and enjoy it, then you can make it through the Engineering curriculum.

If you do the BSEE, try to emphasis power engineering, as opposed to circuit design. There is a big difference between doing work with large loads at high voltage, milliAmps at 5-Volts.

Another option, particularly if you can get some hands on experience is controls engineering. Working out the logic for a large manufacturing or processing installation is puzzle solving in the extreme.

My degree is in Civil Engineering. But I spent nearly two decades doing construction engineering. And, I always found it highly rewarding. Both financially, and from the challenge of bringing a complex project in on time and under budget.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yes and I'm pretty sure my training center has end classes for project management. I have been in commercial construction for about 5 years and an electrician for about 3 years now. I'm young but years of construction make my bones ache sometimes and I know I still got a long way to go. With 4 years left in my program I've been wondering to myself why not invest in a different career alternative for myself that takes 4 years too. I will make around 40 to 50 bucks when I journey out in San Diego. with foreman and general foreman a must for me to keep my brain active enough during work. Just been doing a lot of thinking lately
You just don't want to be a rookie out their calling shots is all. Theirs nothing worse then having a bad PM and a foreman that's pissed because his PM is a douche.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,342 Posts
These other guys don't surf so their posts don't count. Get the BSEE. Then you can get a nice cozy job twiddling your fingers for the rest of your life while working for the Public Works division of the Naval Yard at the base, federal retirement with Cola and fed bennies. You won't need to twist another wire nut on ever again, but golfing will become a mandatory part of the job.

Oh, by the way it is too cold to surf where you live and the ocean smells. Shaka bra........

Reactions: robnj772

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
zac said:
Do you surf rob...I have some friends who were born in Jersey. Manasquan inlet bra!
I haven't surfed since I left Hawaii.

I see no sense in going thru all that effort to ride crap waves.

By the way you are missing the H it's not BRA it's BRAH!!!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
These other guys don't surf so their posts don't count. Get the BSEE. Then you can get a nice cozy job twiddling your fingers for the rest of your life while working for the Public Works division of the Naval Yard at the base, federal retirement with Cola and fed bennies. You won't need to twist another wire nut on ever again, but golfing will become a mandatory part of the job.

Oh, by the way it is too cold to surf where you live and the ocean smells. Shaka bra........
Be quiet HAOLE! We have a great coastline and BAJA!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Have fun staying employed as a project manager with zero real life field experience. Just what the world needs... another inexperienced "book smart" PM... You're well on your way to a permanent position as an expeditor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.