Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an interview yesterday and my perspective employer works mostly residential in the Native reserve and uses a 4X4 truck. He told me that if I got the job(waiting till Wednesday) that I could get a ride with him or one of his employee(also a truck) to work, but I would still need a vehicle to meet him for emergency situations.
I am looking to buy a used vehicle under 10000(cad) that I can used for the next 3 to 4 years. During those four years I plan on changing jobs from residential to commercial to industrial to have a wide set of skills and experience.
I don't want to get a car and find out I will need to upgrade a bigger vehicle. What type of vehicle would you advise I get; Car, SUV or Truck?
Thanks!

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
I just had an interview yesterday and my perspective employer works mostly residential in the Native reserve and uses a 4X4 truck. He told me that if I got the job(waiting till Wednesday) that I could get a ride with him or one of his employee(also a truck) to work, but I would still need a vehicle to meet him for emergency situations.
I am looking to buy a used vehicle under 10000(cad) that I can used for the next 3 to 4 years. During those four years I plan on changing jobs from residential to commercial to industrial to have a wide set of skills and experience.
I don't want to get a car and find out I will need to upgrade a bigger vehicle. What type of vehicle would you advise I get; Car, SUV or Truck?
Thanks!
F-150 Crew cab, 6.5ft bed.

Reactions: slixx.06

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get a car.

An employer that requires an apprentice to use their vehicle for anything more than getting to or from work is bad, bad business. You should not be transporting equipment or anything else.

As a residential apprentice, you will not be making enough to be filling a truck's gas tank to the tune of $130.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I used this in Edmonton till it snowed.

Then a 65 Chevelle in the winter...

Not the real Chevy but that's me on the CB750 :thumbup::thumbup:

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
Get a car.

In fact, get a small car that's in good shape and is good on gas.

My recommendation? Look for a Toyota Echo or Yaris. You can find them relatively cheap, they're great on fuel, low maintenance and you can actually fit quite a bit in the hatchbacks.

The only downside is the goofy instrument cluster in the middle.

Throw a set of snow tires on for the winter, and you're golden.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I never had anything more then a car as an apprentice. Anything work related should be done in the employers vehicle. As A journeyman I have a 4x4 employer owned truck that I bring home every night.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My Car during a bit of my apprenticeship was a Sunfire. Good on gas and I didn't have any problems with it. All I needed it for was to drive to the shop in the mornings. Never use your vehicle for tools and equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm looking at civics purely based of reliability. I'm even looking at corollas for the same reason. I want an impreza but its more than i'm willing to pay for now.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
slixx.06 said:
I'm looking at civics purely based of reliability. I'm even looking at corollas for the same reason. I want an impreza but its more than i'm willing to pay for now.
Listen to btharmy. Show up in that you're not impressing the older guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts