Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite sure that answers my question. One local apprenticeship in my area recently went through their yearly process and accepted 150 apprentices out of a couple thousand applicants. One guy that I know who got in told me he doesn't think he would have gotten accepted if it weren't for a judge that he knew from working at the courthouse writing him a letter of recommendation. This guy had no prior electrical experience. Meanwhile, I just got hired at a utility company as a trainee and it is also union and the yearly wages are similar.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Where I am all apprentices are trainees but not all trainees are apprentices.

A trainee card is the official card you have to get to earn hours under the supervision of a Journeyman to qualify for the state test to become a licensed electrician.

An apprentice is a part of a state approved apprenticeship program (these are required on a good number of public works projects), who is required to have a trainee card.

Most likely the difference comes down to classroom time and more detailed documentation of specific work performed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not quite sure that answers my question. One local apprenticeship in my area recently went through their yearly process and accepted 150 apprentices out of a couple thousand applicants. One guy that I know who got in told me he doesn't think he would have gotten accepted if it weren't for a judge that he knew from working at the courthouse writing him a letter of recommendation. This guy had no prior electrical experience. Meanwhile, I just got hired at a utility company as a trainee and it is also union and the yearly wages are similar.
It completely comes down to the area you live in. Some states don't have any type of program(mine) and leave it up to individual cities and counties to handle that. That said apprenticeship usually mean's your on a program following an approved IBEW track hence, union. Trainee is just a generic job title and you could be nothing more then a mule digging ditches(not that apprentices wont either)but you more often then not probably won't be getting qualified hours if you want a license.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.