Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my situation.

I am Thirty years old, I left the Army June of last year after 4 years as a radio technician over at Fort Lewis, WA. My plan was to attend school with the post 9/11 GI Bill and study logistics. Got through with my first semester of school and am really miserable. I just don't think the four year college trap is for me. And honestly a paper pushing job doesn't sound much better. I have always envisioned myself working with my hands, fixing something, building something, working on something. Well I'm at the point where I need to make up my mind for good and get things going because I have a wife and a kid to support.

My challenge is that I'm 30 years old and have zero experience in the electrician trade. No construction jobs or anything of that nature. I do have a lot of drive and ambition and a will to succeed. I will look at any opportunity to train in this trade as something precious.

I live in Kansas City, Mo. Any advice or wisdom any of you are will to give me I would be most grateful for.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts

I am Thirty years old, I left the Army June of last year after 4 years as a radio technician over at Fort Lewis, WA. My plan was to attend school with the post 9/11 GI Bill and study logistics. Got through with my first semester of school and am really miserable. I just don't think the four year college trap is for me. And honestly a paper pushing job doesn't sound much better. I have always envisioned myself working with my hands, fixing something, building something, working on something. Well I'm at the point where I need to make up my mind for good and get things going because I have a wife and a kid to support.

My challenge is that I'm 30 years old and have zero experience in the electrician trade. No construction jobs or anything of that nature. I do have a lot of drive and ambition and a will to succeed. I will look at any opportunity to train in this trade as something precious.

I live in Kansas City, Mo. Any advice or wisdom any of you are will to give me I would be most grateful for.
Thank you for your service, and welcome aboard :thumbup:

Call these guys and tell them you are a veteran they will help you get the ball rolling as an electrician----Good luck!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of manufacturing base Kansas City has, but there are plenty of opportunities for apprenticeship and high tech jobs in manufacturing too. This article is from Michigan (which is heavily automotive), but many manufacturing sectors are seeing a shortage of employees with the knowledge and skills required and therefore setting up programs to grow their own.
http://www.macombdaily.com/special-news-reports/20150117/apprenticeships-seeing-resurgence-in-macomb-county

You can also try looking for registered apprenticeship sponsors in your area on the USDOL database.
http://oa.doleta.gov/bat.cfm

·
Experience Member
86 Posts

First thank you for your service. You have to start as a first year apprentice and go your way up. Back on my apprenticeship year one of the student was 49 years old. He finish at 53. So you never to old to learn. Here is s link, I hope this can help. http://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=ad38896af789c7ee&from=serp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts