Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Cool Kid
633 Posts
Also in ct, started at 9 bucks about 12 years ago. Best advice i can give is hustle your tail off at the job and learn as much as possible off hours by reading/videos, find someone licensed that needs side job help and help nights and weekends, keep your eyes on the prize and stick it out your future self will thank you.

Good advice. QFT.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
My advice? You need to keep things in perspective.

You may only be starting at $11/hr, but you aren't going to have any college loan payments to make at the same time like most other folks.

When I started, we found a way to make it work. At the time, my ex-wife and I moved 270 miles across Oregon, had a new baby and I started this apprenticeship all in a span of 2 weeks. This all happened 14 years ago, at $8.75/hr taking home $300/week.

So, how bad do you want it?

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
Holy chit, you need a reality check son. Nobody gives a rats azz about your "family problems" and no one is going to pay for them except you.

My advice: Quit your whining, buck up and figure out for yourself how to make it happen. We all had to pay our dues.
Well said!
:vs_cool:

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
I have lots of important bills and assets to pay and costly health issues that $11/hr would ruin me.
And how is that the employers or even the worlds responsibility? Like many have said here and we have all learned ourselves, the world doesn't care about your problems! If you really want it, then make the sacrifices like WE ALL DID.

You're not as special as your parents have told you. Sure the world is tough and the old saying survival of the fittest IS STILL TRUE.:vs_cool:

We have all done without, had to give up stuff, and not cried the blues about an $11/hr start wage.

It's time to grow up and find out what life is really about.:vs_unimpressed:

·
Registered
Wisconsin Master Electrician
74 Posts
I did it with part time jobs. First when starting out and again after an expensive divorce. You gotta do what you gotta do. It's worth it to have a job which is not moving to Mexico nor being taken away by low wage, um, workers.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
any decent company would start at more than that in your area
No, not necessarily.

A decent company might actually start lower, but offer a better training program. And they might have larger wage and benefit increases for those apprentices who do well in the training and stick it out.

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
1,900 Posts
I think borrowing the money is a novel idea actually... the problem with that I think is that while the OP would need less every year, he would still need to cover off the interest on the money; now you are getting into the credit card game...

He would have to borrow enough to cover the payments and interest for the first year to realize the full $8K, while in year to and on, he would need to borrow less to cover the delta, he would still need more to cover the payments and interests accumulated in the following on years and thus the circle (cycle?) of debt. It might take him 10 years to pay that off if all he looks at is working for the paycheck only.

Cheers
John
I don't think he should borrow the money, but was trying to put financial situation in perspective!:wink:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think my company starts apprentices crazy low but some who have basic mechanical skills can get more.
I've witnessed many apprentices who were good workers and learning well but just couldn't continue at the low starting wage and just disappear.

·
Registered
31,749 Posts
I think my company starts apprentices crazy low but some who have basic mechanical skills can get more.
I've witnessed many apprentices who were good workers and learning well but just couldn't continue at the low starting wage and just disappear.
If they were good prospects worked hard, were advancing and your company needed the help than management was foolish.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
If they were good prospects worked hard, were advancing and your company needed the help than management was foolish.
Let's be honest here... Managment is typically foolish.

Union management = Foolish
Merit shop management = Foolish
Government management = Extremely Foolish with a side of more foolishness

Bean counters and idiots typically run things and we all know it. I would like to think that small shops would be less likely to be stupid like that, but I think they probably are just as dumb.

The world as we know it is built on short term gains not long term prospects and investments. Another reason our labor problem is the way it is.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
One of the reasons our trade tries to hire young is illustrated here.

Older guys pick up cash flow drains that they can't walk away from.

( Those kids pick up speed in a hurry. )

BTW, his health complications smell like carpal tunnel.

If so, he should not attempt to become an electrician.

Really.

We have our own repetitive motion 'issues.'

If he's got CAD down pat... he ought to consider being an ESTIMATOR.

·
G.D.I
28 Posts
I stared around the same rate, it sucks but doable. Get some room mates to split the rent, get a car with no payments. It's not easy teaching someone a skilled trade, I have done it many times and it's very time consuming. You are basically a gopher and ditch digger at first.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is there any way I can negotiate the starting pay for an apprenticeship when I first begin?

I called a few companies and one said their starting rate was about $11/hr. All realness I cannot afford to quit my current job that pays much more than that. I get paid lot more than 11/hr and even still living is a struggle and I work 2 jobs...11/hr is gonna kill me.

Im 27. I dont have much support from my family (family issues) and not many buddies that are actually supportive. Im single. What do I do? Whats your thoughts Advice? Are all companies that low to start? I contacted IBEW but couldn't get much out them they basically blew me away when asked about apprenticeships.
I was 30 when I first got into the ibew . I had 5 years non union experience and was making 25 ph .

I went from 25 ph non union to 12 ph first year apprentice in the union .

I blew through 12 k in order to pay bills etc and I’m in financial dept.

But soon I will be making 52 ph plus benies total package around 75ph.

It was the hardest thing I had to go through but it was worth it times ten.

You have to decide in a few years will my life be better if I make this decision to back track .

In my case I’m glad I did it and wouldn’t change a thing , I’m proud I pushed through it and survived , and now my future is brighter than if I stayed at my comfort of 25ph .

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can work electrical and still have a part time job. I have worked with several apprentices who have done so and I am in a union and they start at $20 plus an hour. For various reasons usually the biggest being that they are older and have more responsibility ie they have kids they keep part time jobs for a year or 2.
You mentioned you cant cook to cut costs.....well go buy a cook book and learn.
You mentioned medical issues......well electrical companies offer healthcare benefits at least the ones on the up and up so what the hell are you talking about?
Either become an apprentice and have a part time job also if you need to or keep doing what you are doing because the world doesn't stop spinning for anyone in other words either man up and make the short term sacrifice or stfu the choice is all yours.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts