Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have decided to follow in my Father's footsteps and become an electrician. Before this decision, I have spent the past 6 years in the aviation industry flight dispatching.

This is basically a start from scratch path, so I am looking for as much info as possible. I have no previous electrical work experience or education (on paper). I live in Portland, OR and have no real contacts out here, yet. So far, I have been looking at NECA-IBEW Local 48 electrical training apprenticeship program as my first option and plan to attend their next orientation. My goal would be to start as an inside Wireman and eventually become and Outside Lineman like my Father.

if any of you have suggestions or info, please let me know.

I really appreciate the helpful info this forum has to offer!

Thank you

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello All!

I have decided to follow in my Father's footsteps and become an electrician. Before this decision, I have spent the past 6 years in the aviation industry flight dispatching.

This is basically a start from scratch path, so I am looking for as much info as possible. I have no previous electrical work experience or education (on paper). I live in Portland, OR and have no real contacts out here, yet. So far, I have been looking at NECA-IBEW Local 48 electrical training apprenticeship program as my first option and plan to attend their next orientation. My goal would be to start as an inside Wireman and eventually become and Outside Lineman like my Father.

if any of you have suggestions or info, please let me know.

I really appreciate the helpful info this forum has to offer!

Thank you
Welcome to ET.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Welcome.

I've noticed that relatives of electricians actually have more knowledge of the trade than they realize. It's hard to be around someone for years and not pick up useful information.

Sometimes, my wife will go to a supply house or home depot for me and has learned to speak "electrical talk", which has been very helpful.

I believe, since your dad was an electrician you will be readily accepted into the union and things will come easier for you.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,700 Posts
Inside to outside?

Maybe it should read, Outside to Inside.

This trade gets harder as you get older. Not the other way around.

Welcome to the forum and the best of luck. Eric37 might be able to help you. He is from your area and is in the union.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A couple of us on here are also from portland. I just got into 48 and its a pretty sweet deal. LU 48 will be taking more applications starting July 3rd. Make sure you are prepared for the test and come dressed to impress at the interview. Shirt, tie, slacks, and clean cut. If you have any questions pm me and I would be happy to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to say thank you to everyone on this forum for the advice and response.

I will continue to research, but plan to pursue the Local 48 program. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
come dressed to impress at the interview. Shirt, tie, slacks, and clean cut..
...... here here I don't know why people think just because its a construction trade its OK to go to an interview in jeans boots and a button down or anything less than a suite and tie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts