Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell everybody, after high school I decided to go the non-traditional route and made my mind up to enter the trades specifically electrical work. Now i am from Guelph, Ontario and I have been trying to find an Apprenticeship for the better part of a year.

Know I am wondering If I should have just kept my offers for Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.

BTW I have tried to gain an Apprenticeship through different avenues(CLAC, Lutherwood and others)

Any advice would be very welcome, as I have strong Math,reading,writing,programming,problem soving and creativity skills also I love to learn and I am constantly reading knew things.

·
13,020 Posts
Any advice would be very welcome, as I have strong Math,reading,writing,programming,problem soving and creativity skills also I love to learn and I am constantly reading knew things.
Irrelevant when you're crawling around in an attic or gluing pipes together in a ditch in the rain.

Go to college.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Go to college.
Why?

So he can be brainwashed by a bunch if Rich trust fund hippies from the 1960's that run all these colleges?

That is just a waste of another four years of his life and about $250,000 of debt so he can be broke well into his 40's.

The faster he learns the trade and gets himself to the Master Electrician level the better off he will be.

kmakgalo , Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to the reality of Ontario. Bad time for green entry. Unless you have contacts you will have difficulty finding a position.

That said, although situation grim, it is not impossible.

Be sure your résumé best shows your strengths and get it into the hands of the owner of as many shops as you can. Don't stop there, follow up at regular intervals. Present yourself in a professional manner suitable for the job.

It is not going to be easy but with tenacity and some luck you will find someone to take you on.

You may have read on here many advantages and disadvantages of the union route, but don't let that be your deciding factor.

Best of luck to you and don't close your doors to other avenues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately I do not know anybody in the Electrical field so it has been very disheartening I have applied to a bunch of different companies but my spirits are still high

I was also wondering If I should leave the province to look for an electrical apprenticeship or just suck it up and go to university for Engineering because I feel like the general consensus when I phone around looking for an apprenticeship is that

Your Daddy should have been an electrician or that they just are simply not interested in hiring any new people in the foreseeable future

What a shame this is as Canada is facing a huge "skills shortage".

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately I do not know anybody in the Electrical field so it has been very disheartening I have applied to a bunch of different companies but my spirits are still high

I was also wondering If I should leave the province to look for an electrical apprenticeship or just suck it up and go to university for Engineering because I feel like the general consensus when I phone around looking for an apprenticeship is that

Your Daddy should have been an electrician or that they just are simply not interested in hiring any new people in the foreseeable future

What a shame this is as Canada is facing a huge "skills shortage".

Never give up...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have phoned a bunch of electrical contractors in Guelph and around 10 in Kitchener and all have said the same thing "We are not looking for apprentices right now" this is looking very hopeless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts