Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to become an apprentice in the near future (studying for the test as we speak), and i was just curious as to how they work. I know you get paid as they teach you on the job. But do you get a full 40 hour work week? Or do you only get part time? Do you apprentice with a bunch of different places or do you just stay one place for the whole thing? Will they supply me with tools and equipments or do i need to go buy that? What kind of shape do you have to be in to pass the physical test? I am a girl, but i do work out and lift weights, so i just wanna know how strong i should be to keep up with you guys.

I know its alot of questions. I'm just really curious. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am the same. Don't know about your area or if you are looking at union vs non-union. As far as the work it also depends on what you are looking at trying. If it is commercial construction then be prepared for a lot of pipe bending, climbing and some strenuous work along with all the BS that will come with it. If it is residential the work is not as physically demanding but speed is the key. As far as tools go most want you to have the basic hand tools and maybe your own cordless drill. If they want you to supply some of the bigger items then I would think twice about it.
As far as being female you may find that LV and/or alarm work to be more of a niche. This type work requires a lot of attention to detail not to mention there is the opportunity to make more money than your standard elect. work

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi. I am an apprentice here in Washington D.C. I am not sure what kind of work is in Kansas(I have driven through there twice) but here in DC our program consists of a 40 our work week. Once day every two weeks, we have a day school that goes year around for the first 3 years. The last 2 years are electives and at night.

We do not get paid by our contractor for day school, but rather get a stipend for the day we go by the JATC. We do not get that check if we fail a test or not show up.

here is our local JATC site:

http://www.washdcjatc.org/

this is the national site:

http://www.njatc.org/

As far as tools, we have our own, and a tool list that of tools the contractor requires us to have. Most apprentices just start out with the basics, side cutters, screw drivers, strippers, hammer level, hack saw and a measuring tape.

There is alot of going up and down ladders and moving stuff around and kneeling involved. Trust me there are no world class athletes running around on most job sites, but remember the apprentice will be the one doing most of the labor work.

The best advice I can give you is have a good attitude about shoing up on time, wanting to learn and not taking someone berating you to personal. not everyone is a nice guy.

best of luck to you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Jennifer, you are off on the right foot....in my opinion. Usually, you buy your own tools. You should get a 40 hr week, but if w/ a smaller shop maybe less, especially w/ the wonderfull economy (no thanks to mr. :eek:sama:)

If/when you get your shot, give it your all. Do what is asked, and show your willingness to learn. You will be treated as gold, if you deserve it.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,541 Posts
Jennifer, you are off on the right foot....in my opinion. Usually, you buy your own tools. You should get a 40 hr week, but if w/ a smaller shop maybe less, especially w/ the wonderfull economy (no thanks to mr. :eek:sama:)

If/when you get your shot, give it your all. Do what is asked, and show your willingness to learn. You will be treated as gold, if you deserve it.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
My apprenticeship was 30+ years ago. It was one of the most fun and interesting things I have ever done. Ass bustin work though. I went through the IBEW.
I have never worked in any other field. Raised four daughters and always had what we needed and a bit more.
Glad to see women interested in the field. That sentiment is not shared by all. You will see as the thread progresses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts