Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arc Faults, are they required on all bedroom circuits lighting and recepts or just recepts ? I have heard both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done a service in about 2 years but the last one I did was in NYC I only put them on the bedroom recept circuits and passed. Is this an 08 code?
Just bid a service on a small 1 family in NJ and only included 2 afci's. Now it looks like I need them everywhere.
Did they adopt the 08 code yet?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I cited the 05 code. The 08 code adds several other rooms. You might want to look at section 210.12 (B) in the 08. I have no idea what code cycle NYC or NJ are on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my license 6 months ago no mention of afci's on all dwelling unit circuits. I I have been doing home automation lately of mostly

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
I'm not saying I don't believe you - but someone should have told you what is/is not required in NJ under the current code cycle.

I'll be that some one.

NJ, as of today, remains under the 2005 NEC.
When NJ adapts the 2008 is anyone's guess...my guess is between March and May.

NJ has NOT accepted the 2005 edition of the NEC "as it was written".
NJ [as do many States] amended the NEC and now enforces the amended version.

Of note for you, is the AFCI issue.
AFCI protection is NOT required in a home in NJ under the '05 NEC.....but rather AFCI protection is "optional".

It's the wallet's choice to use AFCI or not.

You don't have to believe me ....personally, I wouldn't believe some yahoo on the interent...but we already discussed that.

Here is a link from NEMA that contains the amendments NJ has made to the 2005 NEC:
NEMA - Code Alert: New Jersey, 05 May 2006

1 - 9 of 9 Posts