Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i started a new job today and will be the head sparky for the county courthouse and county services bldgs... 16 floors x 2 bldgs...

No arc flash study has ever been done, and no fr/flashgear at all.

We have 13200v gear and a pile of 480v stuff.

I was asked to start doing thermal scans as a prev maint... Never been done before!

Where to start with this?
1. No gear
2. No study
3. Was asked to do alone.

How would u proceed?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I would let the powers that be know that to do your job safely you need to know the level of protection required. I can't imagine they would want the liability involved if they denied you this.

Pete

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
So, i started a new job today and will be the head sparky for the county courthouse and county services bldgs... 16 floors x 2 bldgs...

I was asked to start doing thermal scans as a prev maint... Never been done before!

1. No gear
2. No study

How would u proceed?
Tell them they need an arc flash study and PPE required by that study. And if they don't think it applies to a govt facility just google all of the USPS fines for not having arc flash studies and PPE. Millions of dollars in fines just for USPS branches.

Then set up a real maintenence plan, I am guessing none of the gear has ever been properly serviced or tested.

Reactions: eric7379

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Tell them they need an arc flash study and PPE required by that study. And if they don't think it applies to a govt facility just google all of the USPS fines for not having arc flash studies and PPE. Millions of dollars in fines just for USPS branches.

Then set up a real maintenence plan, I am guessing none of the gear has ever been properly serviced or tested.
Government centers are the worse they enface the rules, regulations and laws but seldom follow them in regards to safety, electrical maintenance and safety.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zog said:

Thanks zog, and others::

That was my thought,
Just wanted to bounce off others.
I went from city to county work.
And still hear " we dont have to follow osha" i dont think lawyers will say that after the fact... Nfpa is a standard for industry. Nuff said

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

1. No gear
2. No study

How would u proceed?
Can't be properly done without education.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.