Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure about this. It appears that technology needs to improve dramatically before electric cars become appealing to a larger market than just a few granola eaters. A Nissan Leaf, for example, has a rather pathetic range of less than 100 miles on a complete charge. It takes about twelve hours to charge on a standard 120V circuit and half that time on a 240V charging station.

Obviously, owning an EV takes planning. You're not going to take a quick trip to the grocery store if your car is charging up for the ride to work the next day. The short range of EV's, however, might present a growth market for us.

If parking lots, shopping malls, hotels and transit centers install credit card activated charging stations, they have an added source of revenue and it makes EV ownership more practical. It's kind of a dog chasing its tail kind of thing, though. Charging stations won't be installed without a demand but people may not invest in EV's unless they can fill 'er up at locations beyond their own garage.

What say you guys? Manufacturers like Siemens, Eaton and Bosch are making commercial charging stations so it tells me they think it's an emerging industry. At this point, however, it seems like demographics and government subsidies are deciding factors. I don't see a wholesale change to EV's any time soon.

I know, there's a three word, three sentence or three paragraph rule but too bad, so sad...

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Audi, BMW, Chevy, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Smart, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota and Volkswagen all have models in some phase of production.

They know money can be made on them.. and electricians are questioning whether they can make money off electric cars? What the heck?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Audi, BMW, Chevy, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Smart, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota and Volkswagen all have models in some phase of production.

They know money can be made on them.. and electricians are questioning whether they can make money off electric cars? What the heck?
You can add Cadillac to that list. I started a job installing 2 charging stations at a Cadillac dealership last week. I've piped in and pulled wires for the 40 amp circuits. Just waiting for the charging stations to come in so I can go back and finish.

Want to buy an electric Cadillac? They're going start around $80,000.

·
cog
5,292 Posts

Do you see any Zenn vehicles out there? I think BC is the only prov. they're legal in so far...

·
cog
5,292 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of them, but if Zenn is Chinese, I bet plenty of people have them in Hongcouver!
they are / were a Canadian built electric car http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZENN_Motor_Company

but looks like they are no more? (thats what I get for getting my news from Rick Mercer re-runs). They - apparently - had a good car ready to go, but couldn't get through the usual gov't red-tape?

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I'm not sure about this. It appears that technology needs to improve dramatically before electric cars become appealing to a larger market than just a few granola eaters. A Nissan Leaf, for example, has a rather pathetic range of less than 100 miles on a complete charge. It takes about twelve hours to charge on a standard 120V circuit and half that time on a 240V charging station.

Obviously, owning an EV takes planning. You're not going to take a quick trip to the grocery store if your car is charging up for the ride to work the next day. The short range of EV's, however, might present a growth market for us.

If parking lots, shopping malls, hotels and transit centers install credit card activated charging stations, they have an added source of revenue and it makes EV ownership more practical. It's kind of a dog chasing its tail kind of thing, though. Charging stations won't be installed without a demand but people may not invest in EV's unless they can fill 'er up at locations beyond their own garage.

What say you guys? Manufacturers like Siemens, Eaton and Bosch are making commercial charging stations so it tells me they think it's an emerging industry. At this point, however, it seems like demographics and government subsidies are deciding factors. I don't see a wholesale change to EV's any time soon.

I know, there's a three word, three sentence or three paragraph rule but too bad, so sad...
It will be known in the future that when we all use electric vehicles we will be saving gasoline but will be paying through the butt for green beans,bread and asparaGAS.

·
Estwing magic
27,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm asking for discussion is what the heck. I don't think that's difficult to understand. If guys are making money off this, I want to know how they're going about it.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Fair enough…

People buy the electric car, they need an electrician to install the new charger station. That's a good $grand give or take. Then maybe while you're in their house for that, they might mention other items they need fixed but have put off. Or maybe you can up sell some better lighting in the garage for their fancy new electric car, or maybe a heater to keep the garage just the right temperature for their fancy new electric car. Or a home camera system, which is super popular right now, then they can see their property and their house from their iPhone while driving to work in their electric car. They're sOooOOo futuristic!

Heck the ideas are limitless once you're in their house. It's just an opportunity I suppose to make a few bucks on the charger and hopefully up sell more with your glowing personality.

·
Estwing magic
27,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fair enough…

People buy the electric car, they need an electrician to install the new charger station. That's a good $grand give or take. Then maybe while you're in their house for that, they might mention other items they need fixed but have put off. Or maybe you can up sell some better lighting in the garage for their fancy new electric car, or maybe a heater to keep the garage just the right temperature for their fancy new electric car. Or a home camera system, which is super popular right now, then they can see their property and their house from their iPhone while driving to work in their electric car. They're sOooOOo futuristic!

Heck the ideas are limitless once you're in their house. It's just an opportunity I suppose to make a few bucks on the charger and hopefully up sell more with your glowing personality.
I'm wondering about the commercial side as well, the pay-as-you-go charging stations.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Canadians bought more Tesla Model S than any other EV this year (2013)

The Tesla Model S is a full-sized electric five-door hatchback produced by Tesla Motors which debuted as a prototype to the public back in 2009 at the Frankfurt Motor show. The public has been able to get its hands on one since June of 2012.

Today, only one year after the Model S was released, it has already won numerous awards and is now the most popular retail electric vehicle (EV) sold in Canada (Q3 2013). Among the all-electric category, there are three segments which comprise electric vehicles available today - the Compact, Subcompact and now Luxury Sport (thanks to Tesla Motors).

Consumer research shows that within its release year, the Model S captured a staggering 20% of the electric vehicle market share. Over the course of the next year (2013), it more than doubled to 43%, outselling all other OEMs. It is important to note that with such tremendous gains, Tesla did not necessarily conquest customers from other electric vehicle OEMs, but instead, brought new customers from outside the electric vehicle market to grow the current EV customer base. After all, the current EV competition includes the Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi Imiev, Smart Fortwo, Ford focus EV, Toyota Rav4 EV and the Chevrolet Spark. This new option has helped the overall electric vehicle market volume more than double from 2012 to 2013 showing signs of continual rapid growth with Tesla leading the way. In short, Tesla's Model S has helped to boost the electric vehicle market in a big way. Perhaps now with strong customer loyalty, Tesla Motors can begin conquesting existing electric vehicle customers from other OEMs through the release of a family of Tesla vehicles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.