Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, haven’t been on here in a little bit.
I have a question. Right now I live in Colorado. I have a Residential Wireman license and two and a half years of experience in residential and a little commercial. I’m also in Empowered Electrical Education’s class for my “classroom” required hours. However, it looks like I might be moving to Texas…. Will I have to start over completely with my hours? Or will they accept my current amount of hours if I have my boss sign the affidavit?

Thanks

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
909 Posts
Check out the Texas Department of Licensing and Regualtion website.

There are a few States that are reciprocal with Texas.

Letters from previous employers, that can be verified, written on company letter head, indicating what you did as an apprentice and your hours worked will be needed.

They will also want the Master's information, if not on the letterhead.

Any schooling completed should be well documented, again verifiable.

You might not find the exact answer to your questions on the Texas website, but emails or phone calls are answered.

I've held an electrical license in Texas since 1978.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the Texas Department of Licensing and Regualtion website.

There are a few States that are reciprocal with Texas.

Letters from previous employers, that can be verified, written on company letter head, indicating what you did as an apprentice and your hours worked will be needed.

They will also want the Master's information, if not on the letterhead.

Any schooling completed should be well documented, again verifiable.

You might not find the exact answer to your questions on the Texas website, but emails or phone calls are answered.

I've held an electrical license in Texas since 1978.
Thanks!
Colorado is not among the listed reciprocal states. But it’s talking about masters licenses and journeyman licenses. Doesn’t say anything about an apprentice.

·
Registered
Electrical Apprentice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question now is, if I go to Texas, get a license and then come back to Colorado in a few years, will I be able to get a license here? I do know Colorado is not reciprocal with Texas, but Colorado says they will accept maybe by endorsement.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Question now is, if I go to Texas, get a license and then come back to Colorado in a few years, will I be able to get a license here? I do know Colorado is not reciprocal with Texas, but Colorado says they will accept maybe by endorsement.
Maybe you oughta chit or get off the pot?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
909 Posts
If you move to Texas, then decide to go back, it would be no different, get letters from employers, indicating hours worked and the types of work performed.

Who knows, Texas and Colorado may be reciprocal by then.

States are added to the list every year.

I must empathize getting letters from any and every employer, regardless of what State you live and work in.

When The State of Texas took over licensing from the cities, I had a chance to be "God fathered" in as a Master Electrician, because of my years employed as an electrician.

I came up short 4000 hours (needed 12,000) due to working for a company that went out of business and there was no way to get a letter indicating the hours and what I did.

Having a license and check stubs during that time were not good enough, they wanted the letter.

Get documentation from employers!

·
Can't Remember
11,057 Posts
It may be worth your time to call and discuss. Licensing obviously differs from state to state. Some have none. Others believe electricity works differently in their state and make you jump through all kinds of hoops. It's stupid. That said, you have no choice but to play the game and find out what's what.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,490 Posts
You can also play the reciprocal game... If I want a license in Washington and I am coming from Cali, I know that Idaho is my preferred place to get a license first.

I can send in my information, test there and get a license. Then Oregon reciprocates with Idaho, and Washington with Oregon....

Take a look at what states will accept your hours, not necessarily reciprocate. Then you can test there, and get the reciprocal license of the state you want to go to. Pretty damn stupid, but that's the political BS game morons that run things play.

Reactions: nrp3
1 - 12 of 12 Posts