Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have obviously done too many government jobs, cause Im stumped on this one. Every time I've put them up in the past, the specs called for fire-rated or fire-******ent paint. Im pretty sure this is just nonsense overkill right? For big jobs, not regular commercial stuff?

Got a job where I'm installing an additional phone board in a data closet. Couldn't tell if the existing board was fire rated or not....But im pretty sure this is not code its just what bigger jobs have in their specs, right? No prints here, just get it done.

Any help is much appreciated on this one!

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I think it's a building code issue. If the building is non sprinklered, I believe that all the surface finishes are required to have a fire resistant finish (wall paper, paint, etc) for 15 min, which would include exposed wood, etc. I think you need to check on the approved arch plans, building inspector or fire marshall. might be in IBC or nfpa 101.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Building has sprinkler in it.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
it's complicated, and I guess it will be by occupancy type and also maybe by building type. If the minimum flame spread classifications are not on the approved plans, you might be able to figure it out yourself if you don't want to ask, but you can look up the requirements in nfpa 101.

start at 10 or 10.2.2, note 10.2.3.4 and 10.2.6

here's a link
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ibr/nfpa.101.2006.pdf

·
Registered
General Superintendent
276 Posts
if the building is type I or II construction any wood would be required to be fire treated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts