Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to inquire if smoke alarms in individual units within a high-rise building are connected back to the fire alarm panel?

I understand that smoke detectors in a common hallway or corridor are connected back to the fire alarm panel, whereas multiple smoke alarms in each apartment unit are daisy chained with each other so that if one smoke alarm is triggered then all connected ones go off. But I would like to know if smoke alarms in an individual unit are connected all the way back to the fire alarm panel.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,061 Posts
Are these smoke alarms 120V? If so then they are usually a stand alone but it depends on the system that you are using.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smoke alarms are 120V powered by building's power supply. Does it depend on whether the smoke alarm is powered by either building's power supply or via battery, for it to be connected to the fire alarm panel?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,061 Posts
The smoke alarms are 120V powered by building's power supply. Does it depend on whether the smoke alarm is powered by either building's power supply or via battery, for it to be connected to the fire alarm panel?
I have not worked with fire panels in 40 years so I am not certain. I know the alarm panels that we use in residential homes cannot have 120V tied to them without some special contacting. I would find out what type of system you have and ask them if it can be done.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I would say no. But like Dennis I've not worked on fire alarm systems. The condo units I work on have separate systems.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ive done a lot of fire alarm work and detectors in suites aren't attached to the buildings system.

Smoke alarms can be a part of a fire alarm system, but only on 120v systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts