Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen these doors on the NQ or NF panelboards before. One side is a fixed hinge which allows you to simply remove the deadfront screws and swing the whole door open. I don't hate it at all

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yeah, we have been installing those for quite a while now...usually Cutler Hammer. The CH ones are not screwed down...they have hooks and you can completely remove the panel cover with no tools.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Yeah, we have been installing those for quite a while now...usually Cutler Hammer. The CH ones are not screwed down...they have hooks and you can completely remove the panel cover with no tools.
Those suck big time when flush mounted. When surface mounted they are OK.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh damn. I've been putting up NQ panelboards almost exclusively my whole career and this is the first time I've seen this door. I don't remember seeing anything hinged speced in the material bid. Maybe I need to get out more

·
Registered
14,460 Posts
I have a love hate relationship with the CH ones too.

I worked one place where we did our own hinged fronts. Made ILINES easy.

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
I have a love hate relationship with the CH ones too.

I worked one place where we did our own hinged fronts. Made ILINES easy.
Had a job where the EC did something wrong with the CH's could not get them to open without a fight.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Those Cutler Hammer ones can be a pita to open

I have an apt complex I maintain which is only a few years old and you need a damn hammer to open one of them

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
Those hinged doors are definitely a lot easier than the old clamp style wire pinching covers used to be. I hate when I have to deal with those and half of the clamps won't grab when reinstalling the cover.

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
Doing IR's we spend an large amount of time messing with panel covers, Running into those Sq-D's are a delight.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
brian john said:
Doing IR's we spend an large amount of time messing with panel covers, Running into those Sq-D's are a delight.
Now if they could make something like that for their I-lines. Actually the I-pacs are hinged come to think of it, besides the bottom transformer section

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
The simplest and most effective thing I've ever seen for a panel cover is what Siemens and Murray do for resi panels.

On the back of the cover on each side there is a little hook that hooks right onto a lip on the panel. Just lift the cover and hook it on the panel and it stays there by itself with all the screw holes lined up perfectly. No trying to hold it up with your arm while getting the screws aligned.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I've never installed or came across one of those hinged covers. From the pics it looks pretty neat. It does appear to me that the hinged side could be a little bit of a nuisance when trying to work on the hinged side of the box. I wonder if they could have mounted the hinge on the side of the enclosure to allow 100% access to the enclosure?

Or am I just full of excrement?

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I've never installed or came across one of those hinged covers. From the pics it looks pretty neat. It does appear to me that the hinged side could be a little bit of a nuisance when trying to work on the hinged side of the box. I wonder if they could have mounted the hinge on the side of the enclosure to allow 100% access to the enclosure?

Or am I just full of excrement?
No you are not full of it.

You are correct, it is in the way when working on that side and I ask myself the same question.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hardworkingstiff said:
I've never installed or came across one of those hinged covers. From the pics it looks pretty neat. It does appear to me that the hinged side could be a little bit of a nuisance when trying to work on the hinged side of the box. I wonder if they could have mounted the hinge on the side of the enclosure to allow 100% access to the enclosure? Or am I just full of excrement?
You are right on. The hinge side sucks. Making up the 125 amp breaker was a chore

1 - 20 of 27 Posts