Electrician Talk banner

Are we going to have a lot more electric work ahead?

6087 Views 162 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  Bourbon County
I just saw on the news that " They " are thinking about banning gas stoves and gas fire places. " They " are blaming childhood asthma cases on these dangerous gas stoves.

Is this controversial talk? I did not mention any names.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

· Registered
Sub transient reactance X”d worshiper.
639 Posts
CH4 + 2 O2 → CO2 + 2 H2O

The Stoichiometric formula for natural gas combustion.

So, what kids now get asthma from water or carbon dioxide??

This is normal in the atmosphere. Ghost hunters to chase a agenda.

Someone needs to do a AQT in the home, to find out what is really going on. If the kids are getting sick.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
37,001 Posts
Kids get 50 shots in the first week of life. That is the problem. Not gas stoves.

Biden has bit off more than he can chew now. Mrs is so addicted to her Viking dual range she'll kick joes ass for this.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,932 Posts
I have had asthma since I was young. I am allergic to mold in the air, 30 microns across.
My trigger is when the Humidity is above 40%.
More pseudoscience, IMO. My uncle had attacks when he ate fish. He flew for 30 years for the Air Force. Just did not eat fish.

· Registered
University maintenance
314 Posts
Gas stoves do not completely burn the gas and so the formula CAUSA provided is not the whole picture. With incomplete combustion you get other byproducts. In the case of gas stoves it's nitrogen oxides like seen in diesel exhaust, produced when hydrocarbons are burned at high temperatures. They are a source of air pollution and a gas stove can easily produce enough to potentially cause problems as well as other particulate garbage that you don't want to be breathing either.

This article talks about it. Have a gas stove? How to reduce pollution that may harm health - Harvard Health
It specifies: "Children living in households that use gas stoves for cooking are 42% more likely to have asthma, according to an analysis of observational research. While observational studies can’t prove that cooking with gas is the direct cause of asthma, data also show that the higher the nitrogen dioxide level, the more severe the asthma symptoms in children and adults."

· Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
5,490 Posts
i grew up with old school gas heaters and cook stoves
myself and 4 siblings do not have asthma
central air is more likely to cause breathing problems, the ductwork is always filled with things collecting and incubating

todays modern IR gas heaters are rated to burn clean and do not require venting
put a small heater and ac with thermostats in several rooms and you will never have to pay an ac tech or wait for him while boiling or freezing
i would never have or recommend central air

· Hackenschmidt
14,410 Posts
Tomorrow I'm calling a potential customer back. He wants a new service installed for a 1,400 square foot modular home with an unverified calculated load of 225A. It has all electric HVAC and appliances.
I think heat pumps that are efficient at lower outdoor temperatures have the potential to create a lot more electrical demand.

· Registered
Industrial Electrician, Class A
3,843 Posts
i grew up with old school gas heaters and cook stoves
myself and 4 siblings do not have asthma
central air is more likely to cause breathing problems, the ductwork is always filled with things collecting and incubating

todays modern IR gas heaters are rated to burn clean and do not require venting
put a small heater and ac with thermostats in several rooms and you will never have to pay an ac tech or wait for him while boiling or freezing
i would never have or recommend central air
Wood Grass Plant Line Wall

How many window units would i need ?

· Registered
5,490 Posts
View attachment 172432

well in that case i see your point

however they have multiple units and thus would not have the whole house uncomfortable

my house is small and i was thinking about it from that point, so i was being narrow minded :confused:

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 172432

I see those units have the proper spacing for maximum efficiency and the correct working space for the service compartments and disconnect. ( sarcasm )
I always shake my head when I see the high efficiency units crammed together so the efficiency goes down.

· Registered
Sub transient reactance X”d worshiper.
639 Posts
Gas stoves do not completely burn the gas and so the formula CAUSA provided is not the whole picture. With incomplete combustion you get other byproducts. In the case of gas stoves it's nitrogen oxides like seen in diesel exhaust, produced when hydrocarbons are burned at high temperatures. They are a source of air pollution and a gas stove can easily produce enough to potentially cause problems as well as other particulate garbage that you don't want to be breathing either.

This article talks about it. Have a gas stove? How to reduce pollution that may harm health - Harvard Health
It specifies: "Children living in households that use gas stoves for cooking are 42% more likely to have asthma, according to an analysis of observational research. While observational studies can’t prove that cooking with gas is the direct cause of asthma, data also show that the higher the nitrogen dioxide level, the more severe the asthma symptoms in children and adults."
For a properly balanced flame shape with the right air mixture Yes this is the correct formula. Hence the term Stoichiometric.

Nx is produced by several factors. but for a natural atmospheric burner. (Not under compression) depends on excess air and Fuel Nx containment.

NOx_formation (pwr.wroc.pl)

Comparing diesel fuel combustion to NA gas is like comparing apples to oranges. They are fruit, but different entirely.

Diesel produces Nx from compression and the Nx that is part of the fuel mixture. At much higher concentrations than an atmospheric burner.

For a combustion Analisis there will be some impurities in the PPM range, depending on the fuel and flame temperature and Shape. So, if the flame is very yellow this is bad. This is why the proper servicing and adjustment of any gas burning equipment must be serviced and checked on an annual bias.

1.4_natural_gas_combustion.pdf (epa.gov)

Flame shape study.
20020087744.pdf (nasa.gov)

· Registered
834 Posts
So open a window once in a while, problem solved.
The irony is new energy efficient homes are so well sealed up that they bring air from outside through the heating/cooling system to purge the structure.

The old farm house I grew up in didn't need any of that fancy stuff. Just single pane wood frame windows and minimal insulation. That house could breath like a race horse on the run. It took a bit of firewood to keep it toasty in the winter though.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
The irony is new energy efficient homes are so well sealed up that they bring air from outside through the heating/cooling system to purge the structure.

The old farm house I grew up in didn't need any of that fancy stuff. Just single pane wood frame windows and minimal insulation. That house could breath like a race horse on the run. It took a bit of firewood to keep it toasty in the winter though.
i grew up in one and lived in several since

· Registered
Electrical and communications contractor, New York NEC 2017
2,621 Posts
Or turn the range hood on.
One of my pet peeves. Building codes should require an OUTSIDE VENTED range hood of proper size whenever there is a gas range. Matter of fact, I would want it to be interlocked with the range so that when you use the range the fan automatically starts. Products of combustion do include CO which have actually killed people in houses with poor ventilation. Why do we vent water heaters? Yet we see stupid microwave/range hood units which only blow the fumes around.

So, the problem isn't the fuel, it's lack of ventilation and our obsession with building air-tight houses.

-Hal

· Senile Member
37,001 Posts
I wonder how many people Emeril Lagasse killed with his cooking show and all Viking Kitchens. It certainly influenced my wife enough to impel me to fork out thirty grand on the kitchen appliances.......

· Senile Member
37,001 Posts
By the way, most of them really suck. The 48" dual oven gas cooktop is the bomb though.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts