Electrician Talk banner

Are we going to have a lot more electric work ahead?

5946 Views 162 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  Bourbon County
I just saw on the news that " They " are thinking about banning gas stoves and gas fire places. " They " are blaming childhood asthma cases on these dangerous gas stoves.

Is this controversial talk? I did not mention any names.
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
The other day I was working on a fire damaged house. It did not have to be but it wound up being a complete re-wiring of the house I think because of who and where it is. It is located in a low income area with many illegal apartments. This house was a single family house but was broken up into 4 apartments. The whole job is a nightmare. It was this past week that I come to the realization that some people should not be homeowners or renters for that matter. Maybe I should say cannot be homeowners. They do not comprehend safety no matter how many times or who explains it to them. You cannot put 4 ranges and 2 dryers back in. You must use AFCI. Cheap light fixtures bought on Amazon that are not grounded. No, you can't have a bedroom in the boiler room. This is a three bedroom house and not 7. My point is that most people know how to use a gas range but many low informational people do not. If they say gas stoves are unsafe or dangerous I can see why.

· Registered
Electrical and communications contractor, New York NEC 2017
2,611 Posts
That is the guise of trying to limit gas stoves. They are unsafe to the low informational people.
That's like saying that some people shouldn't be allowed to use scissors or knives. Some people haven't reached the mental capacity of others and restricting items for everybody according to the lowest common denominator is wrong.

-Hal

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,976 Posts
Meanwhile, poisonous snakes are sold in pet stores which often end up in the Everglades and eventually peoples back yards in South Florida.

But we suddenly got a big scary problem with gas stovetops.

· Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
That's like saying that some people shouldn't be allowed to use scissors or knives. Some people haven't reached the mental capacity of others and restricting items for everybody according to the lowest common denominator is wrong.

-Hal
I like the way you put it, restricting items for everyone according to the lowest common denominator. It is wrong but that is what some regulators do to some extent. Everything from gun control to going to the local beach at night. Some people ruin things for everybody because they don't know how to act or how things work.

· Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Meanwhile, poisonous snakes are sold in pet stores which often end up in the Everglades and eventually peoples back yards in South Florida.

But we suddenly got a big scary problem with gas stovetops.
Now even AOC is backtracking. Someone asked about her gas stove and her reply was that it is not hers because she rents. So stoves can stay for now but what about those snakes? There was a picture of a 10 foot python crossing the road in Florida yesterday.

· Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,666 Posts
I thought the government had no business in the kitchens of your nation? Or something like that......

Reactions: MikeFL

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,976 Posts
Reactions: Wardenclyffe

· Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
1,117 Posts
Dictators in the Middle East are known to control their people by controlling the utilities in their country.

Sadam Hussain controlled his people by controlling the water and electrical.

Get everyone and everything on the electrical grid, then start controlling who gets electricity when.

You say it can't happen?

It was said there would never be a cross dresser running the US Military.

101 - 120 of 163 Posts