Electrician Talk banner

Are we going to have a lot more electric work ahead?

5946 Views 162 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  Bourbon County
I just saw on the news that " They " are thinking about banning gas stoves and gas fire places. " They " are blaming childhood asthma cases on these dangerous gas stoves.

Is this controversial talk? I did not mention any names.
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
After filling my gas tank today on the van, I checked the mixture using my 5160 ODB2 scanner and it said 33% ethanol but the station is only allowed to put in 10%. Should I turn em in to the FBI or the CIA?
Maybe the FDA. They are abusing corn.

· Registered
223 Posts
Since I am a cat person, I don't have a dog in this fight. :p But I have to say, growing up, I was very sensitive to gas heat, so I have always avoided gas appliances of any kind. 400 amps total electric for the win!

· Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
There should be no by products from gas heat released in the house. If there is then the system needs servicing or is broken. What you will have is very dry air which is bad for the skin and sinuses.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Byproducts are always released into the house from cooking with natural gas. In a perfect world with a perfect flame with perfect gas, you burn natural gas combined (as other people have said, mostly methane) with oxygen and you get carbon dioxide and water vapor.

4CH4 + 8O2 → 4CO2 + 8H2O

If you get incomplete combustion, whether that is the gas, the appliance, not enough oxygen, not enough ventilation, you get carbon monoxide instead of carbon dioxide.

4CH4 + 7O2 → 2CO + 2CO2 + 8H2O

· Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
1,117 Posts
Byproducts are released into the home from the food being cooked.

An electric range does not give off combustion fumes, but food being cooked does give off fumes, especially if burned.

When an electric range is in the self cleaning mode, fumes are released into the home, due to the high temperatures burning off the food spilled in the oven.

So by those standards, neither a gas range, nor an electric range is safe inside a home, both emit fumes.

Get rid of any type of range in the home or.......

Totally enclose the kitchen and put in high volume exhaust fan, the cook can only enter the kitchen with a full face air supplied respirator.

Move the range outside the home.

There you are, more electrical work.

Electrical work to install high volumn exhaust fans or install a range receptacle outside.

· Can't Remember
11,517 Posts
You need make up air, ERV, MRV, some sort. Tighter buildings are great, but all the crap that off gasses, burns fuel, paint, carpet, etc, is a real problem. I thing the whole gas stove thing is minor in the scope of things. Not like they haven't been around for awhile. Something stinks here.

· Registered
1 Posts
I just saw on the news that " They " are thinking about banning gas stoves and gas fire places. " They " are blaming childhood asthma cases on these dangerous gas stoves.

Is this controversial talk? I did not mention any names.
With respect, a large study showed that houses with gas cooktops have 12% more childhood asthma, so it's not a small concern. Also gas combustion includes other gasses in the air like Nitrogen. That's where the NO2 and NO are generated in small amounts that matter and especially in unvented small kitchens. Pretty good chemistry though, Mac. Also, with regard to "they are thinking" perhaps look into the who exactly is commenting on that and where you heard it from because no one in authority has proposed a ban. Not a controversy yet, but I bet a lot of electrician get work running some branch circuits for electric conversions.

· Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,666 Posts
You will notice " they " made no mention of banning gas in only unvented kitchens. Nope, across the board.

For the children.

· Registered
16,299 Posts
With respect, a large study showed that houses with gas cooktops have 12% more childhood asthma, so it's not a small concern. Also gas combustion includes other gasses in the air like Nitrogen. That's where the NO2 and NO are generated in small amounts that matter and especially in unvented small kitchens. Pretty good chemistry though, Mac. Also, with regard to "they are thinking" perhaps look into the who exactly is commenting on that and where you heard it from because no one in authority has proposed a ban. Not a controversy yet, but I bet a lot of electrician get work running some branch circuits for electric conversions.
And here you see the come later to the discussion, mister reasonable. He is employing some slight of hand with numbers from a study but downplays the banning as just some unknown, off the cuff comment. “Because, no one in authority is proposing a ban”. If he can just get you to believe his “numbers” are sound , with nothing to back them up. While at the same time boohooing the banning.

Well, just to remind the reader. The article was in Bloomberg. The quote is from the head of the agency that is in the business of deciding what you can and cannot sell to the American consumer.

"Any option is on the table. Products that can't be made safe can be banned," agency commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. told Bloomberg. The report said the agency plans "to take action" to address the indoor pollution caused by stoves.

Are these posters bots? Are they plants, installed to steer the conversations. You see them all over the internet. They have a predictable response like a playbook is being used. I hate to be Mel Gibson here with black helicopters. But I’m starting to see a pattern.

· Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
NY governor is proposing a ban on gas and oil heating. New construction starting in 2027 and replacement of broken units in 2030. They are using health reasons to support their ban. But we all know it is the evil fossil fuels they do not like.

· Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
1,117 Posts
This idiocy of "if it can't be made safe, it can be banned", is based on the "indoor pollution" caused by gas stoves.

But there are many other "indoor pollutants" that cause asthma, not just gas stoves, have any of them been studied?

Most likely.

For more information related to asthma triggers and causes check this site, I'm pretty sure they know more about it than any of us.

Will any of those other contributors to "indoor pollutants" be banned?

Do you honestly believe your wife or girlfriend is going to give up her perfume or scented soap?

Just remember, it's to protect these "children" that eat Tide pods.

· Registered
Electrician
2,591 Posts
Did you join ET just to post about gas stoves? What was the study, was it repeated? What were the conditions?

· Registered
Electrical and communications contractor, New York NEC 2017
2,611 Posts
My HVAC Filter System includes conventional particulate Filters, Electro-static pre-cips Filter AND Ultraviolet lights programed to energize whenever the Cook Top, Microwave or Oven is on.
Just say'n...
Oh good. You won't smell a thing. Problem is CO has no smell and that filter system does nothing to eliminate it. You could be unconscious or dead and not know it. A fan vented outside would take care of it and be a lot cheaper.
Just say'n.

-Hal

· Registered
109 Posts
My HVAC Filter System includes conventional particulate Filters, Electro-static pre-cips Filter AND Ultraviolet lights programed to energize whenever the Cook Top, Microwave or Oven is on.
Just say'n...
That's interesting; what device do you have to sense the cooking appliances being used? I have similar systems on my HVAC system and they are active any time the blower is on. I leave the blower running on manual 365 days a year, it ramps down to a low speed when it's not in a heating or cooling mode.

As previously mentioned, CO and CO2 cannot be filtered out, it must be diluted with outdoor fresh air to mitigate. The UV lights are primarily useful on biologicals like viruses and mold.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts