Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Shelby County TN, and electrical worker is not required to hold a journeyman or apprentice license in order to do electrical work. All you need is to be working under a master license holder.

For some reason I remember hearing that Arkansas is different and wonder if anyone knows any information.

I have to go look at a job in West Memphis today. Something about installing lights in a commercial building. I don't want to bid and get this job only to find out that I need to get a journeyman's license in that state before I can do the work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in Ar, YOU have to hold a license to do the work. And you have to be under a masters license also. To work by yourself, you have to be at least a 4th yr apprentice. When you make it to a 4th yr, the state will give you a special card along w your regular apprenticeship card. All this card does is proves that you are at least a 4th yr apprentice. Now, w this card, you can't have anyone working under you. As a J-man, you can just like any other state. Hope this helps.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kind of thinking that.

My boss holds a master's in Arkansas, but neither of us employees hold a journeyman's.

When I went to Brazos County TX for a bit, I had to obtain an apprentice license in order to be working under a journeyman.

I wonder if all of Arkansas is the way you describe or if it depends on the county your working in?

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The below is quoted from this web site.
I put in bold to the bottom of quote. Since I have a journeyman's license in TN, then this should mean I could do electrical work in Arkansas?
State electrical licenses are mandatory, and are recognized in all municipalities. Master and journeyman electricians must pass a written examination to be licensed by the State Board of Electrical Examiners. Apprentices are also required to be registered with the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Apprenticeship & Training, and the Arkansas Department of Labor. Beginning in 2008 eight (8) hours of continuing education will be required each year.

The Board is also authorized to issue license to those applicants holding equivalent licenses in other states and upon payment of the required fees and submission of proof of license in that state, provided an agreement has been reached with that state, to recognize the electrical licenses held by Arkansas residents.Fees License Examination Renewal
Electrical Contractor $100.00 N/A $50.00
Mater Electrician $50.00 $56.00/$86.00* $50.00
Residential Master Electrician $25.00 $56.00/$86.00* $25.00
Journeyman 25.00 $25.00** $25.00
Residential Journeyman Electrician $25.00 $56.00/$86.00* $25.00
Industrial Maintenance Electrician $25.00 $25.00** $25.00
Air Conditioning Electrician $25.00 $56.00/$86.00* $25.00

*Fees for examination $56 paper/pencil format; $86 computer format

**Industrial Maintenance tests are given at the Arkansas Department of Labor $25 fee.
Apprentice

Annual registration fee $10. Temporary license fees are the same as the permanent licenses listed above.

Reciprocity

Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it says you are eligible to become licensed to do electrical work in Arkansas after you give them $$$.

State electrical licenses are mandatory...The Board is also authorized to issue license to those applicants holding equivalent licenses in other states and upon payment of the required fees and submission of proof of license in that state, provided an agreement has been reached with that state, to recognize the electrical licenses held by Arkansas residents.
Contact info listed on this site; you might want to inquire.
http://www.labor.ar.gov/divisions/Pages/electricaInspectionLicensing.aspx

·
Registered
973 Posts
Arkansas has two levels of "licensing"

The Board of Electrical Examiners issues apprentice, journeyman, and masters' licenses. You apply, they vote on your application in their monthly board meeting, you get your paper.

With a Masters', you can do residential work to $20,000.

To do commercial work, or larger residential jobs, you need both a masters' from the BEE and a licensing from the contracting board - a completely different bureaucracy. You will need to pass a business test, prove financial stability, and post a bond.

All 'reciprocity' means is that the paperwork is simpler; you still need the Arkansas licenses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts