Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our facility is undergoing a large addition. While reviewing the engineers drawings in the bid process I had some questions. They are adding a Battery backup lighting inverter from a service that is supplied from a Generator backed service. The question I asked is "if the building supplied is covered by a generator designed to automatically start in the event of a power loss, then why have a battery back up to the lighting"

NEC Art. 700.10 (B)(5) address the separation of emergency and other electrical systems. My view on the reason is to ensure that the Emergency power is not derived for a General power panel. Although the power is directed through 3 MDPs, over all it is on its own-stand alone panel, dedicated to Emergency power and covered by generator backup. Am I missing something?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I'm not sure that I would view this any different than a building totally backed up with a generator employing individual unit equipment for egress lighting.

Pete

Reactions: BBQ

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
You need the inverter as the article 700 emergency supply for the egress lighting etc.

The generator as configured is an article 702 optional standby unit and cannot be used as an emergency supply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.