Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the 2011 NEC article and now I have confused myself. 210.12(A), Dwelling Units, says that arc fault protection has to be provided to certain circuits. Exception No. 1 says that an AFCI receptacle can be used if metal covered cable or conduit is installed between the standard breaker and the AFCI receptacle.

Paragraph (B), Extensions or Modifications - Dwelling units, says an AFCI receptacle can be installed as the first receptacle of a extended, replaced or modified circuit. However, there is no mention of the use of metal covered cable or conduit. Are the requirements of paragraph (A) Exception No. 1 required for paragraph (B) (2)?

Similarly, Article 406.4 (D)(4)(1) says an AFCI receptacle can be used a a replacement receptacle with no mention of metal covered cable or conduit as described in 210.12 (A) Exception No. 1. Are the requirements of paragraph (A) Exception No. 1 required for paragraph 406.4 (D)(4)(1)?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The requirements from 210.12(A) apply only to new branch circuits, they do not apply to extensions or modifications. The rules in 210.12(B) only apply to extensions or modifications of an existing branch circuit, they do not apply to new branch circuits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.