Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is MOBRichard.

I am 17. I have been interested in becoming an electrician for a while, and now I've decided to take action. I came here for advice and tips to help me. At the end of the day I would like to own my own company. I live in California. I just thought I would drop a post in the new-comers forum. Thank you!

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts

I am 17. I have been interested in becoming an electrician for a while, and now I've decided to take action. I came here for advice and tips to help me. At the end of the day I would like to own my own company. I live in California. I just thought I would drop a post in the new-comers forum. Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
welcome to the forums
as you stated in your intro your interest in becoming an electrician.
I applaud you in the decision for your future
there are a few things you need to know
you need good math skills, a strong desire to learn, and the patience to listen to senior journeyman and masters. following directions and procedures is vital in this trade.
electricity is dangerous if not handled correctly.
you will hear good info and advice from the guys and gals here (you may get a lot of ribbing too but thats normal).
dont be afraid to ask questions and take advantage of the links we post for training and reference books
remember to remind members you are a trainee when asking some questions! (this may save you some ribbing)
again welcome and have fun

Reactions: MOBRichard

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Hook up with your local" Habitat for Humanity" and donate as much time with them as possible you will get your residential experience there or some. you may be able to make some employment connections through that also.

connect with your local community college and see if they have any electrician programs that you can go into after high school.

go around and apply at different electrical contractors and electrical motor shops.
also you may try the electricians Union but sometimes that's hard to get into good luck to you

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome.

I go to school for industrial electricity. It seems like you're interested in residential, but look at trade schools for industrial electricity.. they'll teach you code, 3 phase motors, transformers, bending conduit, frequency drives, residential wiring, PLC's, welding, and many other important things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome.

I go to school for industrial electricity. It seems like you're interested in residential, but look at trade schools for industrial electricity.. they'll teach you code, 3 phase motors, transformers, bending conduit, frequency drives, residential wiring, PLC's, welding, and many other important things.
Thank you! That seems very more interesting as well as challenging! I'll probably lean more towards the industrial/commercial side:thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts

Welcome aboard...:thumbup:

·
Registered
659 Posts

I started working full time (resi) when i was 16. And i can tell you, starting young with either trade school or work is the way to go. Best of luck to you!

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
At 17 I'd recommend getting ahold of all the books you can relative to the field you want to get into. Believe me, when you're young, your mind can absorb a whole lot more than us old fogies. As for owning your own business, you'd better work in the trade for a while to make sure what you actually want to do. On the light side, you must be a very tough kid if your name is actually MOBRichard!!:laughing: Kind of a Boy Named Sue type of thing!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At 17 I'd recommend getting ahold of all the books you can relative to the field you want to get into. Believe me, when you're young, your mind can absorb a whole lot more than us old fogies. As for owning your own business, you'd better work in the trade for a while to make sure what you actually want to do. On the light side, you must be a very tough kid if your name is actually MOBRichard!!:laughing: Kind of a Boy Named Sue type of thing!!
Yes books for right now is all I can really do. Do you know of any projects I am able to do? I am currently on house arrest... So actually going to a site is not an option at the moment:laughing:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts