Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good route to go down as far as electrical goes? Has an associates degree in electrical or electronics or robotics helped anyone here in terms of earnings and promotions? I feel like I want to get into troubleshooting more advanced electrical problems for a career but am not really sure how. Do you need a degree for those jobs?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically I got some static about some device plates not being leveled and I thought to myself why am I even involved in commercial and residential? Plus with the home owners or GC's the entire thing is just one huge mess. I'm trying to get out of it and thought maybe being the house electrician at a factory or something might be possible. Do you need a degree to make that step?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Is this a good route to go down as far as electrical goes? Has an associates degree in electrical or electronics or robotics helped anyone here in terms of earnings and promotions? I feel like I want to get into troubleshooting more advanced electrical problems for a career but am not really sure how. Do you need a degree for those jobs?
more advanced electrical problems = more grey hair:eek:
its all the same....lol

·
Banned
11 Posts
The advantage of taking the technical approach is that there is less competition out there at the moment. You can get into automation control, monitoring, Wireless control, solar monitoring and many HMI applications. SCADA is a good market to get into. Knowing other programming languages other than ladder is also beneficial.
Also with the introduction of many items in building and home automation, a more technical savvy person is and will be needed. If you would like me to go in more detail and show you applications to look for just contact me.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,621 Posts
Basically I got some static about some device plates not being leveled and I thought to myself why am I even involved in commercial and residential? Plus with the home owners or GC's the entire thing is just one huge mess. I'm trying to get out of it and thought maybe being the house electrician at a factory or something might be possible. Do you need a degree to make that step?
Don't let static over plates get to you, If it was a PLC program and you got sloppy some one might get hurt or killed. Take pride in everything you do no matter how small. :whistling2:

Reactions: TheWireNut

·
415 Posts
LanceBass said:
Yes, yes, and while it's not mandatory a degree will get you opportunities otherwise not available.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a degree in Industrial Automation as well as a degree in Electrical Construction. The heavy dose of automation helps in a lot of what I do. Traffic lights, farm controls, as well as the usual running pipe and pulling wire for a service.

TWN

1 - 16 of 16 Posts