Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls, first I'm new here as in I just registered to use the site about 10 seconds ago. So if I chose the wrong location to add this thread, well, my apologies. Different forums have different rules and this is the only one I saw that looked like it might fit. I hope you might look past any mistake up to this point and provide a little assistance anyway. I have 30+ years wiring just about anything. But never had the opportunity to get into wiring anything HCAV related or anything that required a capacitor that wasn't already installed with me simply connecting it to power. I started with working for a contractor who had 5 Home Depot locations in and around downtown Los Angeles where we did all the kitchen, Bath and laundry room remodels. As well as all their appliance installs. That frequently meant adding or moving outlets and switches on existing circuits (they often fell midway up the backslash on a postform formica counter top when we where forced to install something we absolutely hated or they might interfere with the elevations provided for the install if there was a bread box, toaster cabinet, or a wine rack installed between the countertop height and the upper cabinets forcing us to alter the elevation of all outlets for asthetics), adding a new circuit, splitting a 220 into 2 110's to split up a dryer or electric stove circuit into something more useful to the homeowner, and various other wiring jobs. I held that job for 5 years. Then contracted the very same work from the same 5 locations for another 7 years on my own. And I have done various AC and DC wiring jobs on my own, ever since. Although only for friends and family as I became disabled and no longer carried a license of any kind. So that's the experience part of it all.

Now, the problem. I was given an old attic gable exhaust fan. The wiring diagram on the motor is damaged to being illegibl. Small pieces can be made out. But I don't have the experience necessary with this type motor to understand what the pieces that are legible mean. So I'm attaching a picture of the label containing the wiring diagram and other info.
This motor has 4 wires (Black, purple, brown and green).
The resistance is as follows. The unit is completely disconnected from everything.

-Black & Brown 47.5 ohms
-Black and Purple have continuity with 18.2 ohms of resistance
-Nothing else reacts in any combination

I do not know how to tell if this needs a capacitor or if I can wire it without one. I'm guessing the black and purple are for two speeds. But I'm lost as to the brown wire and where the neutral wire is. I'm thinking maybe the brown is the neutral. But I don't want a fireworks show when I connect everything and connect the switch. I was also told that this fan may have been part of a cooling system for a swimming pool at some point. As for my intentions I plan on mounting it in the gable end of my shop to exhaust the air that is so hot I can barely breath. I have blown 2 window AC units in this shop and I have a bullet in one lung that is closed off due to all the scar tissue in the primary bronchial tubes. And adding this fan is also going to be part of the dust control system in adding. The shop is small, I converted a 16 x 20 barn style shed into my little one man shop. But I do everything from auto mechanics to small engine repair to woodworking in this shop. I have to move tools outside to be able to work inside. This place is packed. Moving the hot stagnant air out and pulling in fresh cooler air will help my lung health greatly.

Ok guys and girls, that's it. That is the long drawn out version. I hope you get a clear picture of what I'm doing and what has me hitting the brakes. I will greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide to help me get this thing wired right so I can breath better out here.

Thanks much
 

·
Administrator
Retired EC
Joined
·
24,677 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/ We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
 
  • Love
Reactions: LGLS
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top