Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a hair-brained idea or not even practical but I’m looking for ideas and opinions on how to activate a brief audio clip when my outdoor motion detectors are activated.

We are having many car break ins in my neighborhood and motion activated floodlights, security videos, and alarm signage do not seem to deter these people. All of these incidents happen very early in the morning. Police are notified every time but nothing seems to help.

My idea is to have an audio clip of a shotgun shell being jacked into a gun that plays through outdoor speakers when the motion sensor is triggered. Nothing is more terrifying to me than that sound. Maybe include some other audio too.

Nothing else seems to stop these guys. Time to try something else.

Comments, etc???

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A ring camera connects to your phone and allows you to talk through it.
Thanks, but I want it to be automatic and triggered by any of the motion detectors mounted around my house. May require a speaker on each side of the house.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,012 Posts
There are devices that will play a clip on contact closure. Annunciators for fire alarms do this but I don't know if you can customize the clip. Years ago I set up a system for a convenience store to play a clip when the cooler doors were opened. It said some thanks-for-shopping here nonsense but it was really to alert the clerk that someone was going in the coolers, kids were shoplifting booze. Add a suitable amp / speakers and it's simple enough.

I am not sure how realistic a shotgun action would sound over speakers, and I am not sure how the average criminal would respond, but it's not too hard to make it work.

Now for a little more you could fasten a laser sight to a PTZ camera and have that auto track them, when they see the red dot on their chest that might get their attention.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,638 Posts
Here is what you want, You might be able to find a smaller one with not so many options put for $55 this will work. Radio shack used to sell one that was recordable I use to put in model RR stuff.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
983 Posts
As much as the laser light excites me. In today's world were the criminals have rights might be a bad idea, unless you holding the laser attached to say your .45 auto. Mine happens to be green.

My suggestion is more police patrols, squeaky wheel. Neighbors calling will help.
Increase DRASTICALLY the light your putting on the vehicles. Neighbors help in this.
A person is easy to ignore, a neighborhood not so much. They start keeping records that have to be turned over to the state. Show up at your local representatives office or better a event.
Get the mic and make your case public. I have done this with success. Be prepared to be on Utube and the tv stations.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,569 Posts
This was years back in the late 40’s when my grandpa was making a living stripping fire clay with a TD-18 IH dozer. He and another guy were working together as each was an owner-operator ( competition working together, who knew) and they were having some problems with some of the local hooligans after hours. The other fellow put a couple sticks of dynamite in the tree top that they were parking their dozers under. He ran a wire to a switch under the cover they were stealing fuel from. The next day the tree was noticeably shorter and splinters were everywhere.
Fuel theft was a thing of the past from then on. I bet that they honestly had permanent hearing loss from the IED 40’ above them.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,584 Posts
My neighbor had a regular motion sensor on his shed pointing into his garden. He screwed in a plug adapter into one of the lamps. He plugged a radio into that. I used to hear that damn thing going off all night. The deer still got to all his tomatoes. He’s had a small electric fence now for years. That solved everyone’s problems. You may have to go all “home alone” on their ass! :LOL:

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
951 Posts
When I was a kid, i rigged up something to scare trick-or-treat-ers.

I got a motion sensing floodlight from Menards, ripped out the motion sensor, wired it to an extension cord. Plugged in to the extension cord I had a strobe light, a box fan with garbage bags tied to it, and a boombox with a cassette of my brothers and I screaming.

When someone walked up they got flashing lights, the bags jumping out at them, and screaming. Fun times.

·
Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,138 Posts
Get an agriculture electric fence module and some of the 10KV cable. Hook the power lead up to anything metal on the car and ground rods for the controller. Even the smaller units give you a whack. Goes through gloves too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get an agriculture electric fence module and some of the 10KV cable. Hook the power lead up to anything metal on the car and ground rods for the controller. Even the smaller units give you a whack. Goes through gloves too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually did something similar to this to train my dog. Had a metal chain link fence in backyard that the dog would climb it and escape so I installed a fence charger & used insulated standoffs to attach the wire to.

The dog was completely trained in about two days but it took my annoying neighbor lady quite a bit longer to figure it out. She would hang her wet towels and towels on my fence to dry in the sun...... and surprise!!

What made it even funnier was that I had warned all of my neighbors, including her about the charger. She was the only one to get shocked, other than the dog.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,638 Posts
I actually did something similar to this to train my dog. Had a metal chain link fence in backyard that the dog would climb it and escape so I installed a fence charger & used insulated standoffs to attach the wire to.

The dog was completely trained in about two days but it took my annoying neighbor lady quite a bit longer to figure it out. She would hang her wet towels and towels on my fence to dry in the sun...... and surprise!!

What made it even funnier was that I had warned all of my neighbors, including her about the charger. She was the only one to get shocked, other than the dog.
We had an incident in my neighborhood that brought swat police in. It was at a house next to mine but was not a silent mission. Instead of opening my gate the macho swat team member dropped to the ground and army crawled under my gate with his gun. Then ran to my truck and aimed across the hood, then ran to the corral and laid his gun on the corral fence. Electric wire on fence he did not see!!!! Surprised he did not fire it when he got shocked, walked out going fence works ggoooodd.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,672 Posts
I would use a recording of a dog barking. If you broadcast gun sounds you might get gun sounds back.
I would move if I had to deal with worrying about that. We never lock our doors.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,012 Posts
Another idea for the sound would be a police siren sound starting faint and getting louder, followed by a police radio breaking squelch. That would be more likely to scatter the cockroaches.

Reactions: bill39

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would move if I had to deal with worrying about that. We never lock our doors.
We’ve lived here 32 years & these petty break ins happen occasionally. Can’t see moving at this point.

Regarding not locking your doors, let me know how the conversation goes w/your insurance adjuster if you have to make a claim with no signs of forceable entry.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,638 Posts
Regarding not locking your doors, let me know how the conversation goes w/your insurance adjuster if you have to make a claim with no signs of forceable entry.
I guess I would of really had an issue, I did not even have a lock on my door till I moved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts