Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to transfer or obtain a Masters and contractors license in Texas, and how competitive is it for contractors? Can you make a decent dollar there. I am considering moving there to try it out. I'm from Cali, but I have some roots in Texas. I grew up in Houston from 6th grade to several years out of highschool. I.m familiar with the weather. I have a c-10 and Journeyman's certification here in Cali, but they seem to be a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Plenty of work to go around both here and in Austin. And if you're fond of California, you'll likely love Austin.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
Say hello to Alex when you bump into him.

·
Sophomore Member
106 Posts
Check TDLR. Texas doesn't recip with CA you could piggyback from a state that recips with both. If not you have to test for Jman and hold card for 2 years before testing for masters.
They do take experience hours from out of state.

As for Austin, there's plenty of work in all fields though competition is not your enemy here. It's traffic.
Main freeways are bumper to bumper crawl from 6:30 to 9 am, 3 to 7 pm most weekdays. If you're in service work you only have about 5-6 productive hrs a day. If your in construction, about half of the hands will get there on time. Took me hour and half today to get 35 miles, at 1 pm. Hwy dept hasn't caught up with growth.

Good luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check TDLR. Texas doesn't recip with CA you could piggyback from a state that recips with both. If not you have to test for Jman and hold card for 2 years before testing for masters.
They do take experience hours from out of state.

As for Austin, there's plenty of work in all fields though competition is not your enemy here. It's traffic.
Main freeways are bumper to bumper crawl from 6:30 to 9 am, 3 to 7 pm most weekdays. If you're in service work you only have about 5-6 productive hrs a day. If your in construction, about half of the hands will get there on time. Took me hour and half today to get 35 miles, at 1 pm. Hwy dept hasn't caught up with growth.

Good luck
Wow! that sounds worse than San Diego. I've thought about it more and I think that we will struggle to stay here. We have the best weather in the country by far. Average high in the summer on the coast 75 give or take a few degrees. Average high in the winter 63. Average winter low 40-45. It rarely gets lower than 60 in the winter for the high. Great weather to work outside, so I guess that I'll have to pay the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.