Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing a piece of equipment into Nth America that will operate from a 3 phase generator. Currently it operates on an Australian electrical supply of 3 x phase 440V + earth (no neutral). Approximate load is 3/50A.

I ask assistance in:
1/ What is USA standard voltage for 3 phase ? (380/400/440/480)
2/ What is Manufacturer & part # of suitable 3 phase plug to match USA 3 phase outlet that would be on a hired Genset (3 phase active + E, No Neutral)?
3/ Where can I purchase Type B wall outlets & mounting accessories (these will be flush mounted on walls but would prefer to include fully enclosed PVC wall boxes) ?
4/ Where can I purchase Type B "appliance inlet/socket inlet" that would enable me to plug extension lead into single phase outlet on genset to make 110/120V 60hz available to power general onboard equipment ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
In NC, electrical equipment must have an approved listing label (the state has a list of approved testing companies).

If you were to install a non listed piece of equipment and the inspectors catch it, they will not allow it.

If you are not getting it inspected, then, carry on.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
the commonly available 3 phase here are 208y120 and 480y277, but there are others. what you need to be concerned about is what is available where you are installing the generator. Since you are not licensed at the location, and the equipment is not yet field listed here, you need to contact the installing electrician and obtain the information you are looking for, as well as the pricing and arrangements for field listing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who Certifying Body on Minesites ??

Wildleg & Hardworking stiff.......Thanks for reply.

3 phase 480V is suitable for my application (2 x 15KW VSDs & 1 x 3KW VSD)
The equipment will be utilised in the Mining Industry. I expect the onsite Electrician/Engineer will be the Certifier.
Hence any information prior to completion of construction pertaining to US standards would be useful.
Unsure of 1st location but the plant will be travelling between states.

Is an approved Listing Label req'd when piece of equipment is utilised in the Mining industry (purpose built for a particular task) ?

Wendon..thanks also.

The type B socket outlet is for indoor duty.
The type B appliance inlet will be mounted externally.
The 3 Phase 48V plug would definately be outside & sublect to the elements (plugged into genset)

Thanks again Gents !!

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
those details might have gotten you some different answers.

the electrical codes of which we speak does not cover mining equipment. In fact , since I've never worked in mining I have no idea what does cover that stuff (I'm sure someone else here knows, though, maybe they'll pipe in)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.