Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I am a fourth year apprentice currently living in Australia. I am nearing the end of my time and wish to further my knowlege of the trade. I am considering obtaining a High voltage licience and undertaking a diploma of electrical engineering. It details a further understanding of electronics,instrumentation, process control and deeper electrical theory.(This is not a university degree, but a trade school expansion course)

If any of you are involved in the industrial sector (as this is where I wish to take my career) could you please tell me if these skills would be of value in your country and abroad. I am thinking of chasing work on the oil rigs to help set up my young family. Moving to the U.S is a likely option if the money is there for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sean,

Forget chasing jobs on oil rigs etc, unless you are in the know of someone already working on a rig - you stand little chance of getting on one.

Australia has plenty to offer, why leave to chase the big dollars when they are already in your back yard.

Mining is a big money area in this country as you would know, and in the Industrial sector, there are always positions available for good sparkies, especially if you have knowlegde of PLC's and to a degree - instrumentation, data transmission and line work etc.

Try looking for positions in Pharmacuetical, Food/beverage, or Manufacturing plastics or similar. "Mate" Australia is the best place to work for an Electrician, we are unique to be part of a growing Asian manufacturing boom in that we are close to whats going on there, and many Aussie companies are sending skilled tradesmen and women to Asia as part of their companies interest in components made in Asia for their own products sold in Australia. Westinghouse, EmailAir, Hoover, are companies doing this as an example. Many of the big mining companies like BHP, Santos, and alike are always looking to employ good Aussie tradesmen, and they pay very, very good dollars.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Strange.

Adverts galore here for UK electricians to emigrate to OZZ. Why would you want to leave?

Frank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys!!!

Thanks for the quick reply. I really have no intention of going overseas at this stage, merely putting out the feelers.
I am most definetly aware of the mining boom here and as soon as I can I will get into it, I just feel as though that I really should have those other quals under my belt (HV and the diploma) before I apply.

Why is it so hard to get on the oil rigs? It must be a real boys club?

·
Registered
31,879 Posts
More education will not damage the brain, and will give you an edge in obtaing a job.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sean

I have Associate of the Institute of Mining Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Dip. Were I 20 years younger it would OZZ here I come.
Mining is a great life. You could always try the North Sea Oil /Gas Rigs over here. Bit chilly out at sea though. Bring a woolly jumper.

Know what is coming next from across the pond? What's a jumper? Bet BJ knows

Frank

Frank.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
When I was a fresh journeyman, missing being out to sea a little, I looked into getting on a cruiseship line. I applied and went downtown for an interview, the first question was, "so do you like to dance?", and they didn't get much better from there. When it came to me saying I had applied for an electricians job, they told me "customer service is our primary business". The end result was a semi private cabin, a months vacation four times a year and $15 US an hour, for scheduled work hours.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Educating yourself is not a bad thing, however - in the three to four year term it will take to get your Associate Diploma in Electrical Engineering, you could have easily earnt 300-400k in the right position in the private sector. (That figure is not out of reach) believe me!

Stick with having your Trade certificate, go back to Tafe and do night classes in Advanced Electrical, take on PLC and Instrumentation and even do a course in Industrial refrigeration as extras, and watch the bank account grow. Stay clear of project home fit outs and residential work, keep in the Commercial/Industrial sector. This and the Mining industry is where the money is.

Oil rigs are very hard to get on to, here in Australia they work four weeks on, and four weeks off. Paid the whole time. So you work only six months of the year and your paid for twelve, thats why they are so hard to get positions on them. I looked into it myself many years ago.

·
Registered
885 Posts
When I was a fresh journeyman, missing being out to sea a little, I looked into getting on a cruiseship line. I applied and went downtown for an interview, the first question was, "so do you like to dance?", and they didn't get much better from there. When it came to me saying I had applied for an electricians job, they told me "customer service is our primary business". The end result was a semi private cabin, a months vacation four times a year and $15 US an hour, for scheduled work hours.
Not bad for a ride on the Titanic. You did say you were, how shall I say this with tact, not a spring chicken, didn't you killer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any study that I do will be external. I have no intention of actually attending school except for assesments and if I cant get a grasp on something.

I am fortunate in the fact that I am currently employed with a company that does alot of commercial/industrial refrigeration. Largely encompassing motor control, VSD's and some PLC work. PLC's and instrumentation I see as the cutting edge of our trade now. I worked this out about 18 months ago when I was wiring up houses and had never wired up a control cct let alone even seen a contactor!!!!!!!!!!!
Things are very much on the improve now however but I feel another 12 months as a tradesman will be necessary before I chase the big dollars. I believe that if expect the big dollars then I need to know in myself that I am worth that much. Brutal honesty never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sean :- Working as a spark in the UK is fine,but the cash is better in OZ,am hoping to work as a spark in QLD late 08,ive had my TRA Assessment verified and just my visa to get,sell house,car etc,and i will be in Oz soon.Only problem is that i will have to retrain to gain my QLD licence,i cant gain that unless resident in OZ.While your best intentions are admirable i think you will be best as a previos poster advised to stay put!.With so much red tape bogging down our fine profession,it is probably easier for you to migrate to Poland live there and finally migrate to the UK.Any tips on the Aussie codes/sites on here are welcomed wholeheartedly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts