Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my guys asked why one of his smaller wall mount A/C,s he was testing. Using a Auto transformer to get the right voltage has such troubles starting up. I said it would becauce of the inrush current.
The tx has a KVA rating. With his current going up and since the KVA wont change the volts would drop off for a moment and that is causing the problem.
Am I wrong on this.

Hope for the best. Expect the worst.

·
Registered
31,898 Posts
This may be the reason. Standard transformers are sized with motor starting loads limitations. I am not sure if auto amfrs have this sizing option included. but it should be a consideration when sizing the auto xmfr. What is the FLA, what is the auto xmfr KVA and voltage change.

http://www.sola-hevi-duty.com/support/faq.html#Q32

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
size

He was taking 600 down to 220. The FLA would be around 25-30 amps. And the KVA was 15. So that is what got him. The Tx should be good enough. As he was just doing a temp hook up to test a A/C he fixed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Autotransformers have a peculiar habit of becoming 'chokes' and produce back EMF forces. Usefull in some circumstances but not in the situation you have. Some manufactures install capacitors to help aleviate this problem. You would find the capacitors have a secondary use correcting the 'power factor angle' also. As a general rule though it would not be good practice to use auto transformers where high inrush currents are applied such as the use of motors etc.

Frank

·
Registered
321 Posts
Why do newer members dig up buried threads and ask a silly question like this? If you were a real electro, you would know how to get those working using an xfmr. For starters it's not even worth the hassle. Get the appropriate equipment to use with your supply voltage. Another thing is make sure a qualified contractor handles this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.