Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do many 2500 sq ft homes, new builds and complete renovation rewires. I average 5-6 afci breakers and 4-5 gfci devices. Average 16- 18 circuits.
What are your averages under11' code?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
They're almost on the '14, but we've had state amendments since '99 for more than most states Doc

When you get that bad, you might want to consider having the customer buy them, there's just no way to eat all the callbacks now

~CS~

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Dish/ disposal
Furnace
Sump
Kitchen
Kitchen
Bathroom
Laundry
Microwave
Panel plug
Garage door
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting
Lighting.

I'am at about 16

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The 3000 sq ft house I just priced used 14 spaces just to feed the 240v loads. It is all electric. Then 10 120v circuits for everything else. No AFCI breakers and 8 GFCI recepts.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I haven't wire a new home in years now, but if I did another one it would be code minimum. I've never seen any evidence to suggest that I need to go above the minimums.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're almost on the '14, but we've had state amendments since '99 for more than most states Doc

When you get that bad, you might want to consider having the customer buy them, there's just no way to eat all the callbacks now

~CS~
I'll pigtail two of my homeruns in the panel to one afci if I run overkill in circuits. I often do that with loaded down circuits if the panel is in the middle. I wired this whole mcmansion using only 10 afcis

Attachments

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is hope Indiana keeps amending the AFCI rules out of the code. :thumbsup:
Sadly I used to be much more generous in running circuits until this afci nonsense blew up. It's all their fault :)

Reactions: bostongtp

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I agree with you guys as well. 1-50 might overload something because the homeowner will ignorantly plug in a vacuum, space heater and their home kiln.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Dishwasher
Garburator
Microwave
Fridge
Stove
Counter plugs
Counter plugs
Furnace
Dryer
Washer
Bath(s) receptacle
Bath(s) floor heat
Utility Room
Central Vac
Garage door
Outside plugs
Electric car
Probably 6-8 general use circuits (lights and plugs)

That's just off the top of my head.. probably forgetting a few other circuits. I'm hungry! Maybe 2 afci breakers, maybe 4 gfci receptacles.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pretty much what frunk said, except for outside plugs, ill just get the 2 extra gfi rec's, and havent put a car plug in yet
I got evil on this last one, ran a 15 amp circuit for the ground level storage anf carport. Hit gfci first and covered everything downstream on that level. Took it a notch further to hit 1st level deck outlets and AC service receptacle. Just saved $40.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I haven't wire a new home in years now, but if I did another one it would be code minimum. I've never seen any evidence to suggest that I need to go above the minimums.
Sadly I used to be much more generous in running circuits until this afci nonsense blew up. It's all their fault :)

:eek:

This is the community I joined?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts