Electrician Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
1,568 Posts
In my early 20's I changed jobs a lot. It was the only way to get a raise. I even got hired back for more money a couple of times.

I started with a Pump and Tank company in 1981 as the qualifier for the electrical license. They just wanted to do in house electrical work because they were having problems with electrical subs. 1990 they promoted me to the construction manager position in a different branch. Then I quit in '95. They hired me back at a different branch a month later. Closed that branch in 5 months then a different branch picked me up. Then 5 months later they closed that branch and I was out of a job. I wound up in Wilmington in '96 and that didn't work out, so started contracting for myself.

9/11 happened and things were getting worrisome so when the old P&T company called me and asked me to be a branch manager I accepted. That lasted a year and I quit again and went back to Wilmington. The owner called me about a year later to ask if I would come back but things were going too well for me.

LOL, 2011 comes along and I'm mostly not working and one of the P&T branches wanted to know if I could work for them for a year or so, so ... I did. Then back to Wilmington putt putting around.

So, since 1981 I was working for me or that P&T company (with a very short stay at 2 other places).

I was meant to be a decent electrician for hire. Although I could manage men and work, the stresses overwhelmed my personal life and my health. I guess that means I didn't manager it so well.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,909 Posts
38 years. I'm the old guy now.
But I've been in several different shops here over the years. I go were they tell me and do as they ask.
I'm left alone to do my thing most of the time and I'm on the flying squad for those special problems that arise. When they need the old gear fixed right now and don't want to see how it was done in the old days, they call me.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,589 Posts
26 1/2 years then company was sold to a multi-national conglomerate who wanted nothing to do with any of the employees, they just wanted to close it for less competition.
3 years with a small r-mix company.
8 months as a millwright at a chemical plant that went bankrupt. The pay was great but I was really disliked by my coworkers there.
5 years at another r-mix company that started to get too corporate.
5 months thus far at my present employer, also r-mix.
I’m about out of r-mix producers around here so I better behave.

A little work on your attitude and you'll be ok....

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,909 Posts
A little work on your attitude and you'll be ok....
A little work on how you identify whom your speaking to and you will also be ok.. 😂

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,589 Posts
A little work on how you identify whom your speaking to and you will also be ok.. 😂

Got caught be the ol' "there have been more posts" thing. Fixed now.

An attitude change won't help the rest of you guys anyway.:p

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was meant to be a decent electrician for hire. Although I could manage men and work, the stresses overwhelmed my personal life and my health. I guess that means I didn't manager it so well.
I enjoyed reading your story, but this part stuck out to me the most.

Seems like all of us need to find out what works best for our personalities. Not everyone is made to be a worker, not everyone is made for management, not everyone makes a good boss, not everyone makes a good employee.

Lesson #557 I’ve seen here on ET - find your place in life.

·
Registered
317 Posts
In the Electrical trades.
5 years commercial construction
5 years industrial construction
8 W2's in two years, travelling commercial construction
2 years industrial maintenance
2 years industrial construction
2 years commercial maintenance
10 years industrial maintenance
1.5 years current industrial maintenance

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
1,568 Posts
We’ll then it’s settled, Hardworkingoldsparky52stifflou says so. If anyone has a question, I’ll politely refer them to you.
@LGLS Island Guy needs some convincing though, he’s your first long term project.
Good guys don't have to agree on everything. I think LGLS is a good guy also

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,351 Posts
Since 401K's and no company retirement plans, companies treating employees as just a number, starting new people close in pay to ones that have been there for awhile and low cost of living raises companies have brought the job hopping on themselves. It is now one of the only ways for someone to get more money, jump ship get $3.00 more "rinse and repeat". It may of taken them 4 years to get that $3.00 increase if they stayed.

For myself besides quitting two years ago, (and I gave 1 year notice) I have worked at places till they closed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
70 now and retired quite a while. Made 5 yrs construction & mtce in petrochemical; 5 yrs in a motor shop, never a longer job. Lots of construction - class 1 Div 1 stuff right over to a little resi. When the local was slow I’d work non union or whatever job put food on the table. Welding shop, heavy equip operator, machine shop, even on permit with the fitters. Learned something on every job and worked alongside lots of good people.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts