Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A it me or all customers seems to want something for nothing like am licensed if I wanted to charge for cheap labor then it's no point in me having a license I worked hard and studied to hard to let some cheap customer think they gonna use me for my license and get something for nothing bs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hack Work said:
No, it's not you, we all deal with it. And it's not all customers who do that, just the ones you don't want.
Right on well I haven't been busy because of it and I hate when u go to estimate a job the customer tells you they had someone who was gonna do it for this price or that price. Ok if that was the case I wouldn't be standing here I guess they want you to give them a price so they can shop your price, that's y now I do not give free estimates it cuts down on the bs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,762 Posts
A it me or all customers seems to want something for nothing like am licensed if I wanted to charge for cheap labor then it's no point in me having a license I worked hard and studied to hard to let some cheap customer think they gonna use me for my license and get something for nothing bs
People don't understand electricity nor do they care, they think if a craigslist guy can do it anyone can. Trust me about this, everyone who goes a cheaper route say through craigs list comes to regret it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Being in a unlicensed area makes it interesting competing with hacks that will do stuff that is far from code compliant. We price stuff out and reguarly get called back after some hack was in there and then our price is more. I see a lot of 200 amp panel changes on 100 amp and old 60 amp a base meter services. Once there are problems and the POCO gets involved they are red tagged and forced to call someone that knows what they are doing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,981 Posts
Being qualified or licensed is only about 25% of the battle in being in business. The other 50% is sales and marketing, and the remaining 25% is operating with sound business practices. Being a good electrician almost never translates into being a successful electrical contractor. You're about 25% of the way there. Keep studying hard on the remaining 75% of the skills you'll need to close deals and remain viable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: flyboy and Rollie73

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
Being in a unlicensed area makes it interesting competing with hacks that will do stuff that is far from code compliant. We price stuff out and reguarly get called back after some hack was in there and then our price is more. I see a lot of 200 amp panel changes on 100 amp and old 60 amp a base meter services. Once there are problems and the POCO gets involved they are red tagged and forced to call someone that knows what they are doing.

These are the reasons that I just can not fathom any AHJ or POCO allowing unlicensed people to do electrical work. It is my very strong belief that all of us should be required to be licensed. Or be an apprentice who is working toward a license.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,981 Posts
These are the reasons that I just can not fathom any AHJ or POCO allowing unlicensed people to do electrical work. It is my very strong belief that all of us should be required to be licensed. Or be an apprentice who is working toward a license.
I can imagine it. If you'd like to be entertained, look at electrical fire deaths, by state, from 2003-2009. Correlate that list to states that have statewide licenses. State licensing does nothing to protect the consumer, and from a pure statistical breakdown, such as the one I suggested, you may even conclude that statewide licensing increases deaths from electrical fires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,491 Posts
Licensed or unlicensed area there will always be ding-a-lings who skirt around if not totally muck up the work. I just wish that I could fast forward those clients who call you back after they did not have you do the work and Joe Schmoe did it screwed it up and now they expect you to fix it. But the best is the totally clueless ones who wonder why the price goes up so much from the original price when this happens.
 

·
Moderator
Estwing magic
Joined
·
27,575 Posts
Being qualified or licensed is only about 25% of the battle in being in business. The other 50% is sales and marketing, and the remaining 25% is operating with sound business practices. Being a good electrician almost never translates into being a successful electrical contractor. You're about 25% of the way there. Keep studying hard on the remaining 75% of the skills you'll need to close deals and remain viable.
That's a fair assessment, although I might give a higher percentage to sound business practices.

Presentation is critical. if you don't possess the people skills, they CAN be developed. I have never been involved with Toastmasters but they have been teaching communication skills for a long time:

www.toastmasters.org/
 

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
I can imagine it. If you'd like to be entertained, look at electrical fire deaths, by state, from 2003-2009. Correlate that list to states that have statewide licenses. State licensing does nothing to protect the consumer, and from a pure statistical breakdown, such as the one I suggested, you may even conclude that statewide licensing increases deaths from electrical fires.
:no: If this is the case as you suggest it is Shunk, and I have no reason to doubt your word, .....then there is certainly something wrong with the system.:no:


I will read up on some of those stats if for no other reason than informational purposes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
learn to educate customers as to why the should use your company over the others. When presented with a low bid from someone who may not be licensed the first question should be does this price include the cost of inspection and permits? To most customers we are just guys with a tool belt it is up to you to do things that will set you apart and get the customer to start to see the value of your service.
 

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
Joined
·
3,105 Posts
Right on well I haven't been busy because of it and I hate when u go to estimate a job the customer tells you they had someone who was gonna do it for this price or that price. Ok if that was the case I wouldn't be standing here I guess they want you to give them a price so they can shop your price, that's y now I do not give free estimates it cuts down on the bs
Always charge a dispatch fee.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
These are the reasons that I just can not fathom any AHJ or POCO allowing unlicensed people to do electrical work. It is my very strong belief that all of us should be required to be licensed. Or be an apprentice who is working toward a license.
I think their should be a skills test as well as written.
 

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
I think their should be a skills test as well as written.
I couldn't agree more.

Here in Nova Scotia, our apprenticeship books have an area in the back which lists a variety of skills that any JM construction electrician should know and be able to do. Each skill must be signed off by a licensed JM indicating that this apprentice has performed this task under the JM's supervision and has performed it to the level of a competent JM.

The problem is that the section usually gets signed off by someone which the apprentice has never worked with or for. I've even heard of JM's singing off the task in apprentices books for $100.00:censored:


A skills test where the apprentice is required to prove his/her ability would put an end to all that.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top