Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping out a 100 amp panel that was damaged for another 100 amp panel. Adding spaces w/ my new panel. The previous panel had the solar hot tapped in btwn. The 100 amp & the service head, instead of being put on a breaker.

Now that i have extra spaces for a breaker, do you think i should hot tap the solar to my new panel instead of putting on a breaker that would increase heat on my bus bar?
(being this main panel is the customer's only panel-he doesn't have subpanel in house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Separately derived systems require disconnect means. Breaker at panel minimum. BTW, How do you avoid backfeed of utility into solar system? How do you avoid solar backfeed into the utility grid during power outage (when linemen working on system)?

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Separately derived systems require disconnect means. Breaker at panel minimum. BTW, How do you avoid backfeed of utility into solar system? How do you avoid solar backfeed into the utility grid during power outage (when linemen working on system)?
Hello, welcome to the forum.

A breaker in the panel is not required.
You want the solar system to backfeed into the grid, that is the entire point of a grid-tied system.
During a power outage, the "anti-islanding" function will shut down the system to prevent backfeeding.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd simply solder speaker wire to the buss bars and attach that to your photovoltaic array. Maybe also wire in a pull-chain switch just to be safe.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Fun Fact: You can line up all the other planets- Mercury, Venus, Mars, Neptune, Saturn, Uranus, and Jupiter in the space between the Earth and our moon.

·
Registered
313 Posts
what? you must be joking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts