Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BrooklineElectric.com
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Crouse Hinds better than Murray in terms of reliability of the 100 amp breaker?

I've been called out multiple times to replace the 100 amp main breaker. Sometimes it's after the homeowner turns it off to work on the house and it never is able to be reset again.. Sometimes it just fails.

I wonder if the design of the 100 amp main breaker is not sufficient to actually handle the typical load of a residential house over the years. This is in contrast to the Square [D] breakers that I've never had a problem with.

I'm wondering if you've had any experience with whether or not one ground breaker is better than the other in terms of the ones that plug on to aluminum busbars?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Is Crouse Hinds better than Murray in terms of reliability of the 100 amp breaker?

I've been called out multiple times to replace the 100 amp main breaker. Sometimes it's after the homeowner turns it off to work on the house and it never is able to be reset again.. Sometimes it just fails.

I wonder if the design of the 100 amp main breaker is not sufficient to actually handle the typical load of a residential house over the years. This is in contrast to the Square [D] breakers that I've never had a problem with.

I'm wondering if you've had any experience with whether or not one ground breaker is better than the other in terms of the ones that plug on to aluminum busbars?
I love DIY books, they all tell them to turn off the main breaker that has never been exercised(Opened and closed) as years pass condensation goes to work on those and makes the guts of the breaker rusty, open that breaker after 20 years or so and it will not close again, service call time..:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I doubt the design can not handle the load, rather corrosion of the internal parts. Is this in exterior panels by chance?

FWIW I know Dennis Alwon made multiple discoveries of Cutler Hammer 200amp mains failing to reset.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Always been a problem. Especially the reverse 100 amp breakers. But then again I've had all sizes if Murray mains refuse to turn back on simply because they are junk.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
i've had a Westinghouse 200 not open just before a portable generator test.

This is one time SOP testing, prior to, came in handy.

That genny may have tumbled down the driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.