Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of DC's oldest and largest electrical contractors closed their door yesterday.

They have been in business since 1948 at one time they were in the to 20 in size of the USA.

I started doing electrical testing working for them 35 years ago, I still have friends there and they were a customer of mine until yesterday.

Hate to see anyone go out of business.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
A lot of "larger" companies have bitten the dust lately.

Without a vibrant economy, there just is not enough revenue to operate such mammoth companies ...

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
An article for those interested.

I don't get how they don't give any of these guys notice. Some of you Mass. guys probably remember a certain contractor there did the exact same thing 5 or 6 years ago.

Speaking of decades old, established Boston area contractors that have failed, did anyone hear about Broadway Electric (union contractor) that went under not that long ago?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,732 Posts
There was a roll up bubble ten to fifteen years ago that had some old timey forum business guru's all in a sweat cause they were certain that those guys would figure out ways to bust into the service market and dominate it. I personally wasn't all that scared cause the customer base I dominate is one where you show up with some manapua in hand when you go to fix their problems and you take a few minutes to catch up on the relatives and kids sports. Also I wasn't so concerned about Bechtel coming in and trying to learn how akamai lectricians end a run of two wire wood molding so it looks factory....

But anyway, the chickens now come home to roost for a bunch of the rollup empires, to much leverage from the buyouts to make a go of things in the current swamp.

Reactions: millelec

·
Registered
14 Posts
The $1.2B NSA Data Center project went massively bad. It was having Power Distribution problems they couldn't figure out. They kept trying to Energize the Gear, and had 10 Arc-faults, resulting in injuries and $$ burned up gear. Project was a year behind schedule.

My estimates:
$1.2B Data Center Project
$300M Electrical Subcontract
$75M Switchgear (Excludes Gen Sets)
Half of it burned up 10 times=
$375M Gear cost, plus LABOR

My guess is there was a $200-$300M Loss on that job.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
The $1.2B NSA Data Center project went massively bad. It was having Power Distribution problems they couldn't figure out. They kept trying to Energize the Gear, and had 10 Arc-faults, resulting in injuries and $$ burned up gear....
The fug? I haven't been around a Truland project since 2001, and they didn't have the greatest reputation back then, but that's ridiculous.

You have a reliable source for that info? It would be bad to have even a couple of faults like that, and on a data center project where stuff is usually tested six ways from Sunday before it's energized, I find it very hard to understand how they could've been having such severe problems.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.